Media Rader 10 inch Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iceman91

Reaction score
Just received my new toy. Its a 10 in Rader gyuto in 1086. Just thought you guys might want to see some pics.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/65555800@N08/6941611473/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/65555800@N08/6795504276/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/65555800@N08/6941620413/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/65555800@N08/6795515034/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/65555800@N08/6941622469/

I have only had it for a few hours but i cut up some potatoes and it cut very very well. Hardly any sticking. Sorry for the phone pics!

Mike

Great looking knife, congratulations.:biggrin:

Very nice, your custom specs? It does not look as tall as his gyutos usually do.

Yea Michael's attention to detail is second to nobody. Fit and finish on this thing is totally flawless and Michael was a joy to work with. @ Kalaeb yes it is to my specs but I let Michael do his thing with it. All I asked was a nice convex grind, thin behind the edge, and a nice distal taper. This knife is pretty tall, i don't think as tall as some of his, but a lot taller than my Carter. The added height will take some getting use to.

Mike

Gorgeous knife - congrats and thanks for sharing!

I'm becoming less and less of a western handle fan, but I LOVE that handle.

AWESOME! I am blown away every time I see one of his knives... and I have one hanging on my wall! Great work on the profile/ design. And that handle and integral bolster are just pure hotness. It's really not fair to call them western, they're really uniquely Rader.

Great looking knife, love that handle. :coolphotos: When I use a gyuto (french knife, to my thinking) I prefer some height and an upswept tip, but I am in the minority here.

Hax the Cook CLEAVERS RULE!!! :D

you aren't alone, has, as i often like a fairly high tip too, and i have some of my knives set up that way.

AWESOME! I am blown away every time I see one of his knives... and I have one hanging on my wall! Great work on the profile/ design. And that handle and integral bolster are just pure hotness. It's really not fair to call them western, they're really uniquely Rader.

I agree, I am not a huge fan of western handles, but i dont consider his western for some reason.

Sweet-looking knife. Thanks for posting this. I'm looking forward to an eval after you've used it a while!

...I prefer ... an upswept tip...

Thanks guys. Let's talk about tips a bit if you don't mind:

I'm still -slowly- starting to understand the importance of many aspects of blade/edge geometry and profile, but the tip design is still one thing I have not fully grasped yet. To me, a casual user of my own knives, the tip is just there and regardless of whether it is flatter, or more upswept, I don't notice a difference... I just use it. So, tell me, when you guys are using a Gyuto/chef for hours a day, how does the tip shape/profile really help or hinder your work?

-M

Amazing knife as always! Rader's work is incredible to look at!
Not that I'm a pro, but the tip can sort of become a non-factor by being placed too high, and can also limit the use by being too low. It's a fine balance, and one that varies from person to person. I think this one looks goods :)

If you point your tip down as you begin a forward cutting motion, it's nice to have an upswept tip so it doesn't embed in the board. It is also nice if you use the knife as a slicer to maximize the edge length. A flatter profile benefits those that tend to chop more or at least push/pull cut with smaller amount of rocking. More pointed tips are nice to have when doing finer work and you don't want to switch knives to a petty, for example.

If you point your tip down as you begin a forward cutting motion, it's nice to have an upswept tip so it doesn't embed in the board.

I had never thought of that, since no knife I've used has been that flat, but I can see how this would be a big problem. It'd be really annoying for me to cut with a knife that had too low/flat of a tip.

If you point your tip down as you begin a forward cutting motion, it's nice to have an upswept tip so it doesn't embed in the board. It is also nice if you use the knife as a slicer to maximize the edge length. A flatter profile benefits those that tend to chop more or at least push/pull cut with smaller amount of rocking. More pointed tips are nice to have when doing finer work and you don't want to switch knives to a petty, for example.

Wouldn't the tip need to be very low (or the angle of attack extremely high) for this to be a problem?

Wouldn't the tip need to be very low (or the angle of attack extremely high) for this to be a problem?
Depends on the cut and the person making it. Some people think a Carter profile is too flat. A lot of people think a TKC or even KonHD are too curved.

Actually, I remember the one and only time I embeded my tip in a board. It was my Carter funi. Pesky was distracting me. Go figure.

Nice. Thanks guys. Fortunately, the tip profile is easy to modify so my customers can talk to me a bit about it before I forge and grind it in. That's an easy one.

Thanks for the comments. -M

Michael's work is truly exceptional. I really enjoyed my time in the pass around. If the opportunity ever comes up I would surely like to own one.

Amazing knife! I love your integrated bolsters and handles, truly exceptional work! Going to have to add one to my arsenal sometime soon.

Back