Nakiris and stuff

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scott6452

Reaction score
So heres the dilema, my main/only gyuto is a 240 tanaka r2 which has a pretty rounded profile which is ideal for rock chopping. More and more nowadays, i find myself push cutting veg, especially for salad mixes and small veg prep. To be honest the tanaka isn't ideal for this sort of thing so i was thinking of getting a smaller flatter profiled replacement.

Some carter nakiri's have taken my eye as i tend to go for western handles but is it wise to have a carbon core when i would be cutting so much acidic veggies? And my main niggling question is: is a nakiri even the way to go? I hear little mention of them on the forum compared to other knives.
Should i perhaps go for a santoku to fill my gap or even a flat profiled 210 gyuto? I only currently own two knives after having a large clearout and my tactics are to buy the perfect knife once so it never gets replaced. So what do you guys think? Nakiri or other?

Ever tried a Chukabocho?

Hax the Cook CLEAVERS RULE!!! :D

I like nakiris a lot, but I find I look for excuses to use them. My favourite characteristic of a nakiri is that they always seem to be lasers and can cut items (especially garlic and carrots) into translucent slices.
If you weren't in Scotland, I'd get my Yamawaku sent out to you to toy around with.

I'm really, really far from being the most authoritative voice on this forum, so you can take my comments for what they're worth.

I do, however, do all the cooking in our house and while we're not vegetarians by any stretch, we eat a lot of fresh vegetables that require prep. Having said that, since I got my nakiri, I find that I very seldom reach for my gyuto any more. I wouldn't want to be without a gyuto and if I could keep only one knife (quelle horreur :eek2:) it would be my gyuto. But I find a nakiri to be a welcome addition to the arsenal.

Very subjective subject (???) and as usual YMMV.

Back