• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

saya pins

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdipisReks

Founding Member
Reaction score
hey, does anybody have a couple standard-ish saya pins they would sell me for a reasonable price?

i carve them for my guys out of disposable bamboo chopsticks. takes five minutes

i need a decent amount of cow horn to really whittle, though.

yeah I kinda need two too... so if you happen to have some around, you know.

Why not use a piece of chopstick, like Son suggested? Or a long metal rivet from a hardware store...or, well just about anything that will fit?
Earlier in this thread, I thought I read "Needs more cowbell" and I just about wet myself.

Why not use a piece of chopstick, like Son suggested? Or a long metal rivet from a hardware store...or, well just about anything that will fit?
Earlier in this thread, I thought I read "Needs more cowbell" and I just about wet myself.

i don't really whittle very well, which is why i would need so much cowbell, because most would be wasted, and i want it to look "right."

probably with $6 shipping each.

No, you can make them of horn too.

The trick about pins is that for a good fit, you need to match the pin hole diameter to a pin size.

M

i've gotten around that in the past by kind of creating a resinated tape from wood glue and masking tape, adding layers to the saya pin until it's slightly too large, and then sanding down to size. a quick hit with a sharpie and it looks fine. that's probably about as much work as just whittling one, though.

Personally, I like copper wire - #14 works best. Matches my collection of tinned copper pans and bends to securely hold saya in place. Very classy.

Personally, I like copper wire - #14 works best. Matches my collection of tinned copper pans and bends to securely hold saya in place. Very classy.

huh, that does sound pretty good, i'll take a look the next time i make it out to the hardware store.

I just made one my self, out of bras rod on drill with sandpapper :D
I think its even easier with wood or horn
IMGP1118.jpg

you know, i don't know why i didn't think about just sanding the wood down, as opposed to whittling. i think i might just do that.

I actually started thinking about using the inside of a cow bell and now I am thinking someone should have Randy make a Damascus Cow Bell.

Man, I really have a problem.

a one million layer damascus cow bell would be pretty cool looking. i wonder how it would sound...

Love this topic. It's like 'How many things around the house can be used as pins game.' But let's not do the sound of monosteel vs. sound of layered steel again. There must some kid board game that uses plastic pins....I can picture it.....

A cow bell made from Dammy would have to be intentionally made with very bad welds. Good, clean, well-made cowbells sound like crap. They are supposed to make a pathetic clunking noise, as pathetic and uninteresting as possible while still being loud enough to hurt your ears.

I heard that one in Philadelphia has a crack in it....

Latest posts

Back