Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Shop Upgrades

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    Rub it in!
    Love mine. This is probably one of the tools that will pay for itself faster than any other tool in the shop, bar from inexpensive ones.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

We are all still waiting for pics, Dave.....Or it didn't happen

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Davis View Post
    We are all still waiting for pics, Dave.....Or it didn't happen
    +1

Problem fixed. I picked up a 3/4" thick billet of aluminum from the local scrapyard (for $6) and made a riser block for the vise. I used the drill press to drill the holes in the riser and it went through like butta! I think this should work out alright.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010002.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	1053   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p1010001.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	1052  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010003.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	84.9 KB 
ID:	1051  

did you tram the table and then the X and Y

Quote Originally Posted by l r harner View Post
    did you tram the table and then the X and Y

It's all close enough for a drill press.

Seriously though these cross vises pretty much suck for accuracy but they're great for convenience, hell I bet I couldn't even make a straight line of holes with this thing. I just use it for quick holding and alignment. If I ever upgrade I'll go with an X-Y table and a simple quick release vise.

I see a couple of anvils there. Is that what you mean by anvil fetish? You know, they go to a tiny minute size paperweight.

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    I see a couple of anvils there. Is that what you mean by anvil fetish? You know, they go to a tiny minute size paperweight.

Yeah I have an anvil fetish and they're everywhere!

Had another wee set back yesterday and today. Had a small fire start in my dust collector. Seems that belt fuzz, sparks, and plastic don't play well together. I got a HUGE hole burnt through the plastic pick-up hood behind the grinder, an 8" section of flex-hose burnt through, and the bench got scorched as well. This happened when the Blaze 60x belt fuzz piled up in the intake and ignited and was fanned on by the rushing air. I smelled the burning plastic, stopped to see what was burning, started tearing the system down and before I could figure it out the damage was done.

Today I removed the grinder from the bench, fabbed a new stainless intake bucket, and added stainless tubing down to the sucker. I'm not sure if this is enough though since the real problem exists from the belt fuzz. If I ground vertical I would just shoot it into a bucket of water but since I grind horizontal this isn't as easy an option. If it persists I'll just have to figure out a way to blast it downward into a bucket.

Truly an adventure! Don't let it get you down, though. It's all part of perfecting your system