D. Martell Shop Upgrades

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Founding Member
Reaction score
I am one happy camper right now. Why? because I've got some new toys (I mean tools) to play with. :biggrin:

With the help of a friend I've recently purchased a new disc grinder with a variable speed controller. This puppy is so cool because I got the new magnetic replaceable plate system from Rod Nielson which uses both flat and 1deg profiles.

And if that all wasn't enough (which is was) I was surprised by another friend of mine calling me up out of the blue the other day telling me that he's finished welding up a no weld 2x72 grinder for me! Yeah this guy jumped from a casual offer during a discussion to actually making me a grinder! :jumpy: I've got it sitting here in the shop just waiting on a few doodads to make it all complete. Unreal!

So in just a couple of days I've gone from a simple 2x48" grinder to a full out respectable stock removal shop. I'm having trouble wiping the grin off of my face.

A BIG THANKS to my friends, a couple of great guys. :thumbsup:

PS - I'll take some pictures once everything is set up.

Ohh Man !!!!......i can just see the sparks flyin!.....can't wait to see the knives comin outta there.....ryan

Rock and roll! Sounds fantastic, Congrats!! Nothing like new tools!

He's gonna have so much dust pouring out the windows, the EPA will be stopping by ;)

I was just looking for the 'Like' button again... Cool, sounds you are almost ready to roll!

Stefan

Fantastic. Congratulations!

2x72 and VFD disk grinders are the way to go.

I am curious about a magnetic replaceable plate for the disc grinder. I could use different grits once in a while. Right now I am stuck with 80 grit.

M

Wonderful news Dave! Congratulations.

sounds like time to call and get more blaze products
dont forget the felt belts form the other place

Fantastic. Congratulations!

2x72 and VFD disk grinders are the way to go.

I am curious about a magnetic replaceable plate for the disc grinder. I could use different grits once in a while. Right now I am stuck with 80 grit.

M

HERE'S Ed Caffrey's write-up on the discs.

HERE'S Rod's site with purchasing info.

Perfect! With all your new equipment, maybe you can now offer a knifemaking class like that other guy does. I would sign up for sure.

I'm getting closer... I'm trying to get some work out before disassembling all the machinery to move it around to accommodate the new stuff. There's nothing tougher than looking at new toys just sitting there and not being able to play with them.

I've got the disc grinder and VFD hooked up and running.....now to figure out placement on the workbench and get to relocating everything. I can't wait to move some steel with this thing. :knight:

Dave, are you thinking of a field trip to your shop during the ECG ?

So I learned a few things tonight....

1. I'm WAY more skilled on my belt grinder than I am the disc grinder.

2. The disc grinder is very cool, especially the 1 deg beveled disc.

3. The disc grinder is slow compared to the belt grinder. I can hog off steel 2-1 using a finer belt than disc. In case you're wondering I was using a 60x Blaze disc compared to an 80x Blaze belt.

4. Belts last a lot longer than discs.

5. I need to make a dummy handle to bolt onto these thin ass tangs - Dave's got numb fingertips.

6. I need a lot of practice grinding knives.

i've know u for a long time and i know a few things too:

1) you are a quick study

2)you won't give up

3)these r gonna be some bad assssssssssss knives!

ryan

So I learned a few things tonight....

1. I'm WAY more skilled on my belt grinder than I am the disc grinder.

2. The disc grinder is very cool, especially the 1 deg beveled disc.

3. The disc grinder is slow compared to the belt grinder. I can hog off steel 2-1 using a finer belt than disc. In case you're wondering I was using a 60x Blaze disc compared to an 80x Blaze belt.

4. Belts last a lot longer than discs.

5. I need to make a dummy handle to bolt onto these thin ass tangs - Dave's got numb fingertips.

6. I need a lot of practice grinding knives.

The fact that you still have fingertips is a good sign :knight:

Latest posts

Back