Quantcast
Best place to get knives whetstone-sharpened in Tokyo?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Best place to get knives whetstone-sharpened in Tokyo?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    94

    Question Best place to get knives whetstone-sharpened in Tokyo?

    Hello everyone.

    This is my first post here, so apologies in advance if this is not the right forum to ask this.

    I will be going to Japan in about a month, and in researching my trip (and preparing my shopping list!), I was lucky enough to track down a store in Tokyo which still had three brand new Hattori KD knives in stock. Needless to say, having been on Koki's list for some time now with no realistic hope of ever making it to the top, I immediately bought them sight-unseen, and I will be picking them up when I get there.

    Given that the store also offers a whetstone sharpening service, I asked them to please sharpen them before I come by to collect them, to which they replied that they would be glad to do so, provided that I did not mind that they make "very tiny scratches" on them. Now, while I am sure that there is a lot getting lost in translation there (i.e. I suspect that they probably mean that, as with any manual process, accidents may happen and they *might* make very tiny scratches on the blades), their reply surprised me enough to make me hold off on their offer.

    So my question is: does anyone know what is the best place to have knives whetstone-sharpened in Tokyo? My idea would be to pick up my knives, and then take them to the best place available for their first sharpening, even if I would then have to pay for the service.

    Thanks in advance!
    Alberto

    P.S. I am based in Europe, so US-based sharpening services will unfortunately not work for me...

  2. #2
    Senior Member stevenStefano's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Norn Iron
    Posts
    1,385
    Where in Europe are you based? You could send them to Maxim when you get back, he is in Denmark.

  3. #3
    Senior Member shankster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Toronto/Canada
    Posts
    505
    Why can't you just sharpen them yourself?
    I this a work related trip?Are you going to be using them immediately after you pick them up?

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    109
    Hi Alberto

    1. Every shapening process results in tiny scratches, depending on the grid of the stone. Even mirrorfinish, just that they are under 400nm, so cannot see them.. Someone who sells highend-drawerqueens should be able to sharpen properly. BTW: I think the OOTB-sharpness isnt so bad with these knives (i only have forums/rumors-knowlegde though)

    2. It may sound funny, but even KDs will get dull eventually, so will have to find a way to sharpen them yourself. This time or the next time. Why waste time an money on a service, that you will have to perform afterward yourself. Better invest in sharpeningstuff an learn how to use it (hint: do not practice with expensives knives..)

    Greets Benjamin

  5. #5
    Senior Member Benuser's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Amstelveen, The Netherlands
    Posts
    1,863
    I guess the question of your Japanese interlocutor has to do with liability. To some people a sharpened knife won't look brand new any more...

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    94

    Paris

    Quote Originally Posted by stevenStefano View Post
    Where in Europe are you based? You could send them to Maxim when you get back, he is in Denmark.
    Hi - I am based in Paris, so this could be an option. Does he have a web site I could look at? Thanks

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    94

    Wouldn't risk it yet

    Quote Originally Posted by shankster View Post
    Why can't you just sharpen them yourself?
    I this a work related trip?Are you going to be using them immediately after you pick them up?
    I am certainly not skilled enough at this stage to try my hand on Hattori KDs. I will certainly get there at some point, but I am not there yet, and I thought that I should take advantage of being in Tokyo to have as good an edge put on them as they can take...

  8. #8
    Senior Member stevenStefano's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Norn Iron
    Posts
    1,385
    Quote Originally Posted by a.lber.to View Post
    Hi - I am based in Paris, so this could be an option. Does he have a web site I could look at? Thanks
    Yes, Maxim is one of the vendors here, he has his own forum here, JapaneseNaturalStones.com is his site. I'd send him a PT if I were you. He is possibly the world's foremost expert on Japanese natural stones so I'd say he would do a great job if you sent him your knives. Here is a link to the part of his site about sharpening

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    94

    One day...

    Quote Originally Posted by banjo1071 View Post
    Hi Alberto

    1. Every shapening process results in tiny scratches, depending on the grid of the stone. Even mirrorfinish, just that they are under 400nm, so cannot see them.. Someone who sells highend-drawerqueens should be able to sharpen properly. BTW: I think the OOTB-sharpness isnt so bad with these knives (i only have forums/rumors-knowlegde though)

    2. It may sound funny, but even KDs will get dull eventually, so will have to find a way to sharpen them yourself. This time or the next time. Why waste time an money on a service, that you will have to perform afterward yourself. Better invest in sharpeningstuff an learn how to use it (hint: do not practice with expensives knives..)

    Greets Benjamin
    Hi Benjamin.

    I know of course that the sharpening process is basically one that puts finer and finer scratches on the edge until they basically become invisible to the naked eye. And the rational side of me also knows that any responsible store owner should warn a customer about the possibility that a blade might get scratched during the sharpening process... Their comment just made me think that perhaps, as I am there, I should give them the best sharpening treatment which is available locally.

    As to doing ti myself, I intend to one day. I actually already have an edge-pro apex as well as some Chosera stones for it, but I just do not feel confident enough in my abilities to attempt sharpening Hattori KDs yet. As you say, I am trying my hand first with the cheaper knives... I will leave the Itous and the Hattoris for a future day!

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    94

    You're right

    Quote Originally Posted by Benuser View Post
    I guess the question of your Japanese interlocutor has to do with liability. To some people a sharpened knife won't look brand new any more...
    I think you may well be right here - they are probably just being careful, and managing expectations...

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts