Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best place to get knives whetstone-sharpened in Tokyo?

much more awesomer
    I did the rounds of the Tokyo shops a couple of weeks ago. In general, the owners and employees are very friendly and helpful, even with limited English abilities (n'attendez pas qu'ils comprennent un mot de franšais!). As all of the shops -- whether in Tsukiji or on Kappabashi-dori -- also sharpen knives, all day long, for their commercial customers, they are very experienced. Have no fear that they will do a good job "opening" the knives for you. The person with whom you spoke was no doubt just protecting the shop for all eventualities -- "managing expectations".

Which shop is this? I found the staff at Union Commerce and Tsubaya (across the street from each other in Kappabashi) to be extremely friendly and helpful and both shops have someone on hand who speaks English. TDI, Kamata and Kamaasa were friendly as well, with a little less English. The blokes at the shops in Tsukiji were also helpful, in spite of the fact that they were incredibly busy on a Monday market morning.

Quote Originally Posted by SameGuy View Post
    I did the rounds of the Tokyo shops a couple of weeks ago. In general, the owners and employees are very friendly and helpful, even with limited English abilities (n'attendez pas qu'ils comprennent un mot de franšais!). As all of the shops -- whether in Tsukiji or on Kappabashi-dori -- also sharpen knives, all day long, for their commercial customers, they are very experienced. Have no fear that they will do a good job "opening" the knives for you. The person with whom you spoke was no doubt just protecting the shop for all eventualities -- "managing expectations".

Which shop is this? I found the staff at Union Commerce and Tsubaya (across the street from each other in Kappabashi) to be extremely friendly and helpful and both shops have someone on hand who speaks English. TDI, Kamata and Kamaasa were friendly as well, with a little less English. The blokes at the shops in Tsukiji were also helpful, in spite of the fact that they were incredibly busy on a Monday market morning.
    Thank you - I will give myself a few days, and then decide what to do. I may in the end just decide to let the store do it, as I am beginning to think that given the circumstances they would probably be extra-careful...

Quote Originally Posted by stevenStefano View Post
    Where in Europe are you based? You could send them to Maxim when you get back, he is in Denmark.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

much more awesomer
    As explained in his intro thread, a.lber.to is an Italian diplomat living in Paris.

much more awesomer
    Quote Originally Posted by a.lber.to View Post
    Thank you - I will give myself a few days, and then decide what to do. I may in the end just decide to let the store do it, as I am beginning to think that given the circumstances they would probably be extra-careful...
    L'ho fatto cosý anch'io a Union a Kappabashi... Ho comprato un Masamoto KS gyuto (270 mm) e ho deciso di lasciare il negozio affilarlo la prima volta.

Congrats. I'm curious what store did u get them and what kind of price? I have fond memories of walking around Tsukiji and Kappabashi browsing. I regret I didn't buy a knife and a few other things. It kind of puts you out of your element because i find they don't really carry the same Japanese knives we are all used to here so its hard to compare things.