Quantcast
What are some good garnishes? Trying to inspire some of my other chefs.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What are some good garnishes? Trying to inspire some of my other chefs.

What are some good garnishes? Trying to inspire some of my other chefs.

Hey guys,

we are currently working on a new menu and our chef has used the boring old parsley garnish for 30 + years. We will be keeping it for the signature dishes we are keeping but are trying to come up with more creative garnishes for entrees as well as pantry items.

If you have anything interesting to share that would be great.

No necessarily for any particular dish just any you guys like to use here and there.

What kind of items do you have on your menu?
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

I like to incorporate the garnish as a balanced part of the dish for a few reasons. You aren't prepping something in addition to the dish, it's a part of the dish. You aren't making extra work for yourself. You can pair ingredients that compliment each other. Making a suckling pig dish? How about a crispy apple chip? During the spring/summer we had a nice snapper dish that we finished with a shaved artichoke salad as the "garnish" Things like that. They make sense flavor wise and add something to the dish. Adding parsley for the sake of adding parsley adds nothing at all in my eyes.

So really it depends on the dish. What kinda stuff are we talking about here?
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

shaved chives, chive batons, micro greens, chervil, pomegranite seeds, perserved lemon julienne, pickled anything, orchids, esplette, various dried and powdered whatnot.

But, as said, all depends on what compliments the dish.

Orchids?......

Everything else..
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

As a consumer and not a chef, I would appreciate a garnish that relates to the dish, as Theory outlined above. Parsley? Puleeze!! If the parsley is not a key ingredient in the dish it does not belong on the plate.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Gremolata adds a nice flavor, and you can do plays on it; Cilantro lime; ginger orange; grapefruit sage; classic lemon parsley garlic....
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by ThEoRy View Post
    Orchids?......

Everything else..

Some people go for some sweet orchid action. Me? No. But just figured I'd throw it out there.

If it is on my plate, I am going to eat it. If it does not go well with the meal, that's totally your fault!

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    As a consumer and not a chef, I would appreciate a garnish that relates to the dish, as Theory outlined above. Parsley? Puleeze!! If the parsley is not a key ingredient in the dish it does not belong on the plate.
    Trust me we all agree but the owner makes the rules. He is technically the executive chef so what he says goes.

But ya I agree with theory as well and u try to do that with my food. I was just trying to think of some good garnishes that some other chefs use from time to time.