Quantcast
What are some good garnishes? Trying to inspire some of my other chefs. - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What are some good garnishes? Trying to inspire some of my other chefs.

I just garnish with things that are kind of optional eating, like peppers, strong herbs, something fermented, etc.

I guess it's from sushi...you make things out of foods you want to include in the meal--daikon shreds, carrot butterflies...I liked a simple one, making a pear out of prepared wasabi and a black sesame seed.

I guess micros are the 'in' thing atm..

Something pickled (like pickled shallots), something fried (like crispy shallots haha), vibrant and flavorful oils, fingerling potato chips cooked in foaming butter (or beet chips...or parsnip chips...or whatever), gremolata, herbs in all sorts of forms: fried, herb salad, batons, shaved, whole sprigs if that's your thing, haha, etc.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

I used to carry cards that said:

This establishment has been identified as an offender by the
    SPPPPPPP
    (Society for the prevention of putting parsley on people's plates in public places)

Servers rarely saw the humor.
    If you reach the age of 60 without becoming a curmudgeon, you haven't been paying attention.

We use pea shoots and daikon sprouts as well. But they still have to make sense as far as cohesion with the dish...

As far as parsley goes, I see nothing wrong with properly executed chiffonade of flat leaf parsley to add a little color and freshness; just keep it off the rim of the plate.
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by MadMel View Post
    I guess micros are the 'in' thing atm..
    i like these as well but finding the right one to go with the dish can be difficult. We also use edible flowers/orchids asides from them being pretty, the customers don't eat them and they really don't match flavors very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Neal View Post
    I used to carry cards that said:

This establishment has been identified as an offender by the
    SPPPPPPP
    (Society for the prevention of putting parsley on people's plates in public places)

Servers rarely saw the humor.
    can you send me some

Quote Originally Posted by NO ChoP! View Post
    We use pea shoots and daikon sprouts as well. But they still have to make sense as far as cohesion with the dish...

As far as parsley goes, I see nothing wrong with properly executed chiffonade of flat leaf parsley to add a little color and freshness; just keep it off the rim of the plate.
    agreed, however I'm talking literally a bunch of curly parsley on the top of the plate....

As a customer only, I like garnishes that I can eat. I also try to eat the garnish if I trust the restaurant. A sprig of parsley tells me not to trust that the plate's elements are well thought out, so I start removing things from the dish that I don't like, as I assume it wasn't that well thought out anyway. If it was thoughtfully garnished, I would eat it together with the dish to see the Chef's idea on how the finished plate should taste.

The only thing that I love scattered on top of everything is White Truffle shavings (I'm a white truffle sl ut)

I do like Chive sprigs balanced precariously if it goes with the food. But I love chives. so...

I like seasoned/fresh fruits added as a garnish for some dishes.

I agree, truffles are o.k on pretty much anything , otherwise I also prefer garnishes that make sense taste-wise and not only look pretty. And make sure that the main parts of the meal are larger than the garnishes... I remember vivid discussions with the patron of one of my usual up-scale hangouts that the potato gratin was so small that you couldn't see it under the garnishes.

Stefan