Quantcast
pellet rifle recommendation - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: pellet rifle recommendation

Thanks, y'all.
    If you reach the age of 60 without becoming a curmudgeon, you haven't been paying attention.

I have a Beeman R7. Very nice rifle with an outstanding match trigger. I had a Gamo springer for many years before getting the R7 and while it was functional it was not really all that fun to shoot due to the awful trigger.

The R7 is low-powered @ only 6-7 fpe and is marginal for squirrels. I use it for plinking but have taken a couple of treerats at 15 yards. If you're serious about pest control at longer range, consider a Beeman R1 or R9 (or Weirauch HW80/HW90) or RWS 34 Diana spring-air guns. The Beeman/Weirauchs are in the $500-600 range, the RWS around $300.

Kevin and Craig at http://www.straightshooters.com are good guys and will talk your ears off about airguns. The StraightShooters website also has links to good introductory articles as well as an active discussion forum.
    Anthony

I have no experience and no money, but I want one of these: http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Evanix...61#readReviews

Snoop around the rest of their website. Cool stuff.

-AJ

Old thread, but just thought I'd pass on some info. Buying stuff online even from reputable names can still be like walking a mine field. But I bought a cheapo made in China deal (unlike you guys, I'm cheap) from http://www.archerairguns.com and had a really good experience. The quality is actually not bad. Fit and finish can't compare to $500 guns guns. But the squirrels won't be able to tell. And still got money left for a bottle of Macallan
    Am I the only one who searched for The Edge from U2 and ended up here?

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PierreRodrigue View Post
    YES!! Drool worthy
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Neal View Post
    It seems that no matter what the question, some folks on this forum are experts, so here's the question.

I need a pellet rifle for squirrel hunting. Fancy not required, scope not required, .17 preferred but not required, willing to pay for excellent accuracy. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks!

Keith
    This popped up today if you are still looking.

http://sport.woot.com/plus/gamo-air-rifles

-AJ

I got the Diana 34, and it has been doing the job with authority.
    If you reach the age of 60 without becoming a curmudgeon, you haven't been paying attention.

Spokane, WA aka Spokanistan, or Spoklahoma, or...
    Glock .40 + bottle of tequila = squirrel hunter.

Now I have to go back and read Joe Lansdale's "Bad Chili" again. It starts off with the main character, out shooting pistols with his buddy, getting attacked by a rabid squirrel.

“I had placed four shells in the chambers when out of the woods, bounding as if on a Pogo stick, came a frenzied squirrel. Let me tell you, if you have never seen an agitated squirrel you have seen very little, nor have you heard much, because the sound of an angry squirrel is not to be forgotten. It is high pitched and shrill enough to twist your jockeys up your crack.” Joe R. Lansdale
    Now is not the time to bother me. And it's always now. Wiley Miller

The only hunting trip I've ever been on started with getting caught in an electric fence and ended with my buddy's brother in law blasting a squirrel out of a tree with a .357 revolver. Only thing we got that day, and there wasn't much left of it.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter