Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Some of my test pieces finished up.

Some of my test pieces finished up.

These two now handled up for their new owner.
    These were test pieces I made to test in the kitchen. A damascus 01 cored san mai slicer and a honesuki/petty in a medium carbon and blue paper steel core. I also added a bit of shiny steel to jazz it up. I had forgotten I forged teeth into the san mai to make it more dramatic. I have been using them for quite a while unfinished in the kitchen.

And my stainless damascus/blue paper core, test piece, which is off to David, sorry its taken a while.

Beautiful knives, great work. And what might I ask are happening to these 'test' pieces?

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

Hello K, Thanks, the petty and the Suji are off to a certain fellow in Japan and the Stainless one is off to Singapore. They have been nabbed

Nice work W

Nicely done! Love the honesuki/petty.

Thanks P

Yeah, the honesuki was really a petty. But having got to know blue paper steel, it is quite happy being used to bone out joints. But its thin like a petty. So I suppose a multitask knife. I look forward to hearing how the new owner finds it in the kitchen.

Very nice! Looks like you tweaked the suji handle size a bit since the pass-around knife.

Your steel and handles are very, very nice!

Thanks David, yep I couldn't quite believe how long that handle is myself when I got it back. The critical thing was learning that the balance can be nice, a bit further forward in a slicer. Though if central balance is required I use heavier dowl material like brass. Pass around was an invaluable experience.

Really nice!!

Now that must be a first, the British selling knives to the Japanese! You must be doing something very right for Japan to ignore it's own makers.

That plain clad petty turned out really nice. The teeth effect to the san mai adds some drama to to the looks. I bet it will look stunning when it patinas up.