Hello everyone

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a.lber.to

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I am an Italian diplomat, currently working in Paris, France, after having grown up in Rome, Italy, and having done my university studies in California, nearby San Francisco. Almost 20 years ago, during my first business trip to Japan, I bought a nice Yangi-ba, which - over the first half of its life - probably did not get nearly any of the respect it deserved.

As I grew older, I started enjoying cooking more and more, and - being a gadget freak and a general collector of many fine things - my interest in Japanese knives grew, until some time ago I decided that I needed proper knives. I started with some Kai Shun knives (I only kept a Kai Shun Steel 150 Utility), and then ended up getting a complete set of Echizen-Japan 1310 knives from JapaneseChefsKnife (240 Gyuto, 240 Sujihiki, 210 Guyto, 210 Bread, 180 Santoku, 165 Nakiri, 150 Petty, 105 Paring). I simply love the damascus pattern on them, and they are incredibly thin and razor-sharp - it's a real pleasure to use them.

Afterwards, I sarted getting more interested in damascus knives made by Japanese master craftsmen, and - in an attempt to control my frustration at not being able to get some Hattori KD knives - I ended up buying a few of Hiro Itou's beautiful knives (230 Gyuto, 150 Petty, 105 Paring). Regently, however, I got REALLY lucky, and in preparing a trip to Japan which my wife and I will make soon, I managed to track down a store in Tokyo which still had three brand new Hattori KD knives in stock (210 Gyuto, 180 Santoku, 150 Petty), which I immediately bought and will be picking up once I get there in a few weeks. I cannot wait to hold them in my hands, and even less to be able to cook with them!

I have an Edge-Pro system with some Chosera stones for it, but I have not yet really had the courage to use it on my Itou knives, and I suspect it will still be some time before I even attempt to sharpen those or the Hattoris myself...

I have been very active in watch collecting fora for for over 10 years now (I moderate(d) on ThePuristS.com, Horomundi.com, Revo-online.com, etc.), but this is my first foray into kinchen knives on-line discussions.

Alberto

Welcome - and Congrats on the H-KD purchases - I'm sure there will be some very jealous members knowing you are picking up three of them.

Welcome! Congratulations on the KD Hattori knives. You are a very lucky man!

Welcome to the Knut House! It sounds like you will fit right in!

Welcome to the forum Alberto.

I hope you'll post some pictures of your new brood of KDs when you return from Japan. And, when you feel comfortable, you'll tell us what you paid for them. ;)

[video=youtube;GXdNgO94rKQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXdNgO94rKQ[/video]

:welcome2:

Aggettivo benvenut! All you need are cleavers!

Hax the Cook CLEAVERS RULE!!! :D

Welcome! You have made us all envious of your luck in getting those KDs.

Please be sure to tape the sides of your Itou's and KD's when you use your Edge Pro, or you will scratch the sides of them. The swarf from the sharpening runs down onto the Edge Pro table and will seriously mark up your knives as you move them if you don't protect them.

Rick

Welcome to the forum Alberto.

I hope you'll post some pictures of your new brood of KDs when you return from Japan. And, when you feel comfortable, you'll tell us what you paid for them. ;)

Love the video! And will do for the pictures.

As to the price, not too bad actually: more than on Koki's site, of course, but I paid Japanese list price (as confirmed on Hattori's own web site) minus a 5% discount (which I had not even asked for!)... :)

Welcome! You have made us all envious of your luck in getting those KDs.

Please be sure to tape the sides of your Itou's and KD's when you use your Edge Pro, or you will scratch the sides of them. The swarf from the sharpening runs down onto the Edge Pro table and will seriously mark up your knives as you move them if you don't protect them.

Rick

Thanks Rick. I did learn that very quickly the hard way, luckily - though - only as I was practicing on a throwaway very cheap knife...

Sounds like you got a good deal with the KDs, the others that are currently for sale at KF have a massive markup

Welcome to KKF!!! Enjoy all the wackiness the forums have to offer :D

Welcome. I'd really like to see those Hattori KD and Itou pics <3:knight:

Welcome. I'd really like to see those Hattori KD and Itou pics <3:knight:

I will post pictures of the Hattori in May, as soon as I am back from Japan. I got the receipts from the store the other day, so they seem to be indeed waiting for me in Tokyo (while they wait, I ended up asking the store to sharpen them and to procure sayas for them). I should be able to work on pictures of the Itous in the meantime - when I do, I will post them on the main forum.

Welcome! Great story about the KD's, it reminds me of a "barn find" with a classic car or when someone finds a wild animal that was thought to be extinct.

The plus about coming to kitchen knife collecting from watch collecting is that the prices will seem very reasonable!

One of the great things about this forum is that you will get exposure and expertise about traditional Japanese knives and makers, but will also get insider exposure to the new renaissance in kitchens knife bladesmithing that's happening in the Western world.
If you like Hattori and Ito, just wait until you see some of the forge welding genius from some of the smiths that hang around here.
Devin Thomas is, I think it's safe to say, a damascus legend. However, Michael Rader and David Lisch have been turning out stunning work and a really unique style. Other guys like the Haas family, Del Ealy and of course Will Catchside are also very brightly shinning and quickly rising stars.
-When you're prepared to kill a few hours, go poke around in the makers' sub forums.

As for the sharpening... that's a whole other story. But just relax and know that sharpening your rare and precious knives is not as scary as it seems and when the time comes, you will get more help and advice than you could ever imagine (or want).

Now I'll be quiet and wait for pictures...

However, Michael Rader and David Lisch have been turning out stunning work and a really unique style.

I did! And then I e-mailed Michael and got myself on his custom knife waiting list for a couple of them! I would love two of his knifes with Lisch damascus (especially the feather pattern!). :D

Back