Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carved knife interest.

I have never been overly fond of the engraved blades but there have been some I liked.
    But.......if you are talking about a David Broadwell style carved blade, that's a different story.
    Mark Farley / Burl Source
    Phone 541-287-1029, Email burlsource@gmail.com
    Visit our web store

Artistic knives in a kitchen just doesn't seem like a practical idea.

What about making a few nice scimitars with Western handles, with guards or pinned bolsters instead? You can copy the shape from Forschner, for instance. Those are knives people would probably buy, even if they won't see much use. I myself would follow this route if I were more found of meat than I am.

I think that is the biggest difference between kitchen knives and other knives - kitchen knives are used at least a few days a week, while hunting at most a few days a year (by most) and presentation knives pretty much never, so functionality matters.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

More David Broadwell style. More carved, less engraved.

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    Artistic knives in a kitchen just doesn't seem like a practical idea.

What about making a few nice scimitars with Western handles, with guards or pinned bolsters instead? You can copy the shape from Forschner, for instance. Those are knives people would probably buy, even if they won't see much use. I myself would follow this route if I were more found of meat than I am.

I think that is the biggest difference between kitchen knives and other knives - kitchen knives are used at least a few days a week, while hunting at most a few days a year (by most) and presentation knives pretty much never, so functionality matters.

M
    Aside from taking an extra second to wash out any carving, i do not see where this would affect functionality. It would be no different(just more) than chisel carved writing, or even a stamp. For that matter, not any more than a Kuro-uchi finish, i think. I am not looking to make something that is carved all the way through, or carving it so thin that it adds a ridiculous amount of flex....Maybe i just need to do one and post it lol.

Oh, and the scimitar idea....It is happening

".Maybe i just need to do one and post it lol."

Bingo!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

For some reason when I think carved I think more trying to make it look like a piece of obsidian, chipped away to make an edge, if that makes any sense. But now that you say Broadwell style I get it.