Carved knife interest.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Davis

Reaction score
I want to do a few carved knives in the near future. I was curious if there is any interest in this. I want to do a few that look flint knapped and maybe a few more intricate style designs. I understand the cleaning issues, that is why i figured i would inquire. I am finally getting my shop back into some semblance of order, and am setting up a carving station. If you think this is a dumb idea, please say so.

Could be terrible but I'm curious. I bet nothing would stick to it, at least. :)

IF you make the blade similar to a Takeda with a large bevel I think it should work great.

All the pretty elements have some sort of practical/maintenance drawbacks to consider, but we still love damascus, file work etc. You could always do the blade and fittings in stainless.
Who's to say the carving could not also be designed to give great food release? I would go for it and do it for what it is, an art knife which can work very well too. Unusual pieces will always be collectable and desirable. Having seen some of your Bowies I've been wanting to see you do something sculptural on a chef knife. I might not be the voice of reason but I say DO IT!!!!:D

I guess I have never seen a carved knife. But it sounds cool. I would consider a carved carving knife.

Originally, I didn't have any interest when I saw this post, but then remembered the dragon carvings I have seen. It will be interesting to see what you come up with. Waves might be interesting. Just thought I would throw random thoughts out there.

I am contemplating buying a Gravermax kit to do some cool design stuff with, but i am thinking deeper, more bas relief style stuff. Funny you siad waves, thought about doing the "Tsunami" wave painting on the side of a gyuto....

I am not sure I even know what you are talking about, but I say chase what makes your heart flutter, Mike. Doing something you love to do will only translate into good things.

There is a pretty good sized learning curve there!

I had to search Google images in an effort to understand what you're considering doing...

Something like this?

Carved_Blade_Example.png

I have never been overly fond of the engraved blades but there have been some I liked.
But.......if you are talking about a David Broadwell style carved blade, that's a different story.

Artistic knives in a kitchen just doesn't seem like a practical idea.

What about making a few nice scimitars with Western handles, with guards or pinned bolsters instead? You can copy the shape from Forschner, for instance. Those are knives people would probably buy, even if they won't see much use. I myself would follow this route if I were more found of meat than I am. :)

I think that is the biggest difference between kitchen knives and other knives - kitchen knives are used at least a few days a week, while hunting at most a few days a year (by most) and presentation knives pretty much never, so functionality matters.

M

More David Broadwell style. More carved, less engraved.

Artistic knives in a kitchen just doesn't seem like a practical idea.

What about making a few nice scimitars with Western handles, with guards or pinned bolsters instead? You can copy the shape from Forschner, for instance. Those are knives people would probably buy, even if they won't see much use. I myself would follow this route if I were more found of meat than I am. :)

I think that is the biggest difference between kitchen knives and other knives - kitchen knives are used at least a few days a week, while hunting at most a few days a year (by most) and presentation knives pretty much never, so functionality matters.

M
Aside from taking an extra second to wash out any carving, i do not see where this would affect functionality. It would be no different(just more) than chisel carved writing, or even a stamp. For that matter, not any more than a Kuro-uchi finish, i think. I am not looking to make something that is carved all the way through, or carving it so thin that it adds a ridiculous amount of flex....Maybe i just need to do one and post it lol.

Oh, and the scimitar idea....It is happening :)

".Maybe i just need to do one and post it lol."

Bingo!

For some reason when I think carved I think more trying to make it look like a piece of obsidian, chipped away to make an edge, if that makes any sense. But now that you say Broadwell style I get it.

Back