Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wasabi

Wasabi

This stuff is too good to be true. Another addiction.

If you reach the age of 60 without becoming a curmudgeon, you haven't been paying attention.

If you reach the age of 60 without becoming a curmudgeon, you haven't been paying attention.

much more awesomer
    Wow. Where did you get the wasabia? My next trip to Japan I plan to pick up an oroshigane (though probably a ceramic one, not traditional sharkskin).

Yes, where did you get this? I would LOVE to try real wasabi one day...

Anyone know how long fresh keeps?

Not grated or peeled keeps a long time... once grated it dries out rather quickly.
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

much more awesomer
    Pacific Coast in British Columbia is also shipping rhizomes, but they don't mention if it's Mazuma or Daruma. Cool. I'm salivating (and my nose has started running! ) at the thought of this...

I will have to try some from there. I like anything starting with wasabi,horseradish,mustard,hot peppers: including bhut jolokia (ghost peppers). It's a sickness but I am not looking for the cure

Quote Originally Posted by Deckhand View Post
    I will have to try some from there. I like anything starting with wasabi,horseradish,mustard,hot peppers: including bhut jolokia (ghost peppers). It's a sickness but I am not looking for the cure
    Since you're in Costa Mesa, try the Marukai or Mitsuwa markets that are close by. They often carry fresh wasabi up here in the LA area. I would assume they have them down in the OC.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Quote Originally Posted by mhlee View Post
    Since you're in Costa Mesa, try the Marukai or Mitsuwa markets that are close by. They often carry fresh wasabi up here in the LA area. I would assume they have them down in the OC.
    Thanks I will try that. That was a great tip. I go to Marukai and a few Asian markets for my bulgogi fixings, Kimchi, spicy noodles, jajangmyun,etc. I am Caucasian but grew up eating lots of Japanese,Chinese,Korean,Vietnamese food.You have it good up there with Olympic Blvd and Monterey Park.

Quote Originally Posted by SameGuy View Post
    Pacific Coast in British Columbia is also shipping rhizomes, but they don't mention if it's Mazuma or Daruma. Cool. I'm salivating (and my nose has started running! ) at the thought of this...
    http://frogeyeswasabi.com/Updates.html is in Oregon. Nice folks. They just have Daruma available now, but grow both kinds.