Quantcast
Wasabi - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wasabi

Sweet. Thanks for this, Keith.

Quote Originally Posted by Deckhand View Post
    Thanks I will try that. That was a great tip. I go to Marukai and a few Asian markets for my bulgogi fixings, Kimchi, spicy noodles, jajangmyun,etc. I am Caucasian but grew up eating lots of Japanese,Chinese,Korean,Vietnamese food.You have it good up there with Olympic Blvd and Monterey Park.
    I moved to Gardena so I could be close to all the Japanese markets and restaurants. If you ever go to the main Marukai in Gardena, go to the produce section. Look left along the upper shelf where the Shiso is. That's where I've usually seen it. Also, I've seen it at the Torrance Niijiya market on 182nd.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

New Seasons grocery in Portland has it now.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Some folks were interested in how long the rhizomes last. The answer appears to be that is doesn't matter. The stuff is being consumed so fast at my house that it couldn't go bad first.

The microplane is not the right tool, but it is what I have now. Does anyone know where a good sharkskin grater can be had?
    If you reach the age of 60 without becoming a curmudgeon, you haven't been paying attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Neal View Post
    Some folks were interested in how long the rhizomes last. The answer appears to be that is doesn't matter. The stuff is being consumed so fast at my house that it couldn't go bad first.

The microplane is not the right tool, but it is what I have now. Does anyone know where a good sharkskin grater can be had?
    Korin has them. For the time being, use one of the cheap aluminum or ceramic ginger graters sold at most asian markets. My relatives in Japan use this. They live in Shizuoka prefecture, the main growing area for wasabi in Japan.

Wasabi rhizomes are sold everywhere in the area they live. You can even get it at train stations. That's where I got some the last time I was there and brought some back.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Quote Originally Posted by mhlee View Post
    I believe Korin has them. For the time being, use one of the cheap aluminum or ceramic ginger graters. My relatives in Japan use this. They live in Shizuoka prefecture, the main growing area for wasabi in Japan.

Wasabi rhizomes are sold everywhere in the area they live. You can even get it at train stations. That's where I got some the last time I was there and brought some back.
    Bringing back memories of box lunches on trains in Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Neal View Post
    ...The microplane is not the right tool, but it is what I have now. Does anyone know where a good sharkskin grater can be had?
    http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/...ith-brush.html

Thanks Keith!

Gonna try to get this stuff locally in the near future (outside Portland)...

Any early taste reviews or comparison to the powdered stuff many have been using?

Tip for using the ceramic grater

Cover with plastic wrap and grate on that. Those are a PITA to clean and seems like so much wasted stuff inbetween the teeth you can't get out.

I have only used them for ginger not wasabi though.

Quote Originally Posted by add View Post
    Thanks Keith!

Gonna try to get this stuff locally in the near future (outside Portland)...

Any early taste reviews or comparison to the powdered stuff many have been using?
    not anything like the powdered stuff. It is a different kind of heat, with a very vegetable flavor. subtle with some slight sweetness and an over all pleasing warmth and mouth feel. Not pasty at all. If you taste it you won't ever want to go back. I don't know if you have ever eaten a cabbage core, but they have the same components in them that makes wasabi spicy only less. i have eaten spicy cores though and in a pinch they work rather well grated and placed on raw fish. not a substitute by any means, just something different.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.