Quantcast
Great Deals on Honing Sprays
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Great Deals on Honing Sprays

Great Deals on Honing Sprays

Attention all sharpeners - Advanced Abrasives is now selling their products online direct to the end user!

You can score the same diamond slurries & suspensions supplied by Hand_American, Ken/CKTG for a fraction of the cost.

An example of what a great deal this is take the HA 1mic diamond spray:

Sold at CKTG for $38.95 (4 oz)

Sold at Advanced Abrasives for $7.75 (8oz or 250ml)

So is this stuff any good? Well before I found what I use now I used to sell the HA diamond sprays and I feel that it was the best that I had used up until I switched so yeah it's worth checking out, especially for these prices.
    Last edited by Dave Martell; 03-02-2012 at 04:24 PM.

Abrasive Types

• Al2O3 (Aluminum Oxide)
      • The raw materials from which this high performance technical grade ceramic is made are readily available and reasonably priced, resulting in good value for the cost in fabricated alumina shapes.
    • cBNP (Cubic Boron Nitride Powder)
      • cBNP is the clear winner when machining ferrous materials. It is second only to diamond in hardness. cBNP has a high thermal conductivity which makes it ideal for high temperature applications.
    • Colloidal Silica (Colloidal Silica)
      • Colloidal silicas are suspensions of fine amorphous, nonporous, and typically spherical silica particles in a liquid phase.
    • MDP (Standard Grade Metal Bond)
      • MDP is the popular choice for most lapping and polishing applications. It is the optimum choice when the characteristics of MDP(N) are not required.
    • NA (Not Applicable)
    • NDP (Natural Diamond Powder)
      • The natural alternative to synthetic diamond. NDP exhibits a high surface finish while maintaining above average stock removal.
    • PDP (Polycrystalline Diamond Powder)
      • PDP is made up of nano-crystallites that give it a unique break down mechanism which allows new cutting edges to be exposed creating a self-sharpening characteristic. PDP is used primarily for lapping and polishing sapphire, ruby, metallographic samples, fiber optics and ceramics along with disk texturing, head polishing and lapping of substrates.
    • RDP (Resin Bond Diamond Powder)
      • RDP is the recommended product for machining many types of ceramic, glass and tungsten carbide. This material is ideal for all vitrified, phenolic and polyimide bond systems.
    • SiC (Silicon Carbide)
      • Black SiC abrasives are suitable for grinding cast iron, non-ferrous metals, leather, rubber, plastics, wood and mineral rocks. Refractory grains are also available to make high grade refractory products.

Thanks for passing this on Dave.

Is there a prefered/better product - slurry vs suspension vs compound? Do you apply any of these products to a substrate such as leather or balsa and let it dry?
    Shibui - simplicity devoid of unnecessary elements

Quote Originally Posted by mpukas View Post
    Thanks for passing this on Dave.
    Quote Originally Posted by mpukas View Post

Is there a prefered/better product - slurry vs suspension vs compound? Do you apply any of these products to a substrate such as leather or balsa and let it dry?

Slurry & suspension are pretty much the same thing for what we'd use them for but the difference is that slurry requires manual agitation (shaking) to disperse the compound throughout the carrier where suspension is permanent dispersion of the compound throughout the carrier medium. Slurry is less expensive and is used for manual applications where an operator would spray it directly on a machine's substrate while polishing whereas suspensions would be used in automatic applications that may sit still being uses.

For use on felt, leather, or balsa a spray (be it slurry or suspension) is the easiest to use because it applies an even covering on the substrate while not asking of you to get your hands dirty. A wet compound/paste can be used on smooth leather and balsa by smearing it evenly across the substrate's surface, this is messier than sprays but a lot less expensive.

Also, Keith at HA once told me about extender fluids and how you can use them to "water down" and extend the compounds making them go a lot further. This seems to be a way to make a gallon out of a few ounces of expensive compound. I've never tried it myself but it seems to be something that's done quite often so it must work.

Excellent pricing I should say!

-AJ

This pricing I am willing to pay, the compounds always seemed overly expensive from the retailers. Which of the available choices of compound would be the best for general purpose honing of kitchen knives?

An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a narrow field.
    -Niels Bohr

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Cool. Which base would you recommend: water, oil or universal?

I have used AA:s stuff before (plastic injection tools) and of course i could not resist brining some home for use on the blades. Very good...

The oil base is commonly used for tool polishing as the steels are quite prone to corrosion. The oil smells a bit. Disappears immediately when washing the knife afterwards. Leather/balsa still smells a bit though (i keep mine in a ziplock so no wife issues).

Although i doubt there is much of a health difference when the blade is in use, i would probably go for the water base if given the choice. Water has to be better for humans than oil, right?

I'd go with water base when you can, it's cleaner to handle.
    Last edited by Dave Martell; 03-02-2012 at 08:13 PM.

+ Reply to Thread