Quantcast
Yoshikane v Mac v Takayuki
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Yoshikane v Mac v Takayuki

Yoshikane v Mac v Takayuki

I am looking for a Chef's Knife, I cook probably every day, though I am no pro-chef. Don't really have a budget.

I have been looking at the:

Mac Ultimate Chef 9"
    Yoshikane 240mm Gyuto Hammer Finished
    Takayuki Grand Chef 240mm

Are there pros and cons for these knives? Is any one better? I don't really have a budget, but I don't think its necessary for me to spend more than $300 for a Chef's knife as I am no Iron Chef (though can make probably one of the best omelets!)

Also, are there recommended cutting boards for use with these knives?

Thank you

PS - If there is a better alternative to these knives I'd like to know - in my research these were all very highly regarded however the posts that they came from were a few years old.

Well, i'd never go with a mac.
    They're easy to sharpen and you don't have to worry about them, but i find them mediocre at best.

BOARDsmith as far as a cutting board, custom made pieces by a member here that are head and shoulders above anything else. As for the knives I haven't used any of the ones you mentioned so I can't speak to one being better than the other.

Welcome to the forum.

To preserve the edge as long as possible, end-grain maple, cherry or walnut boards are preferred. The BoardSMITH brand is the most recommended. David is a craftsman making these boards pretty much one at a time. (http://www.theboardsmith.com). If you want to skimp on a board, then look at Boos or another maker. Try to stay away from bamboo - it's not wood, it's grass, and there is a lot of glue used to make the boards, which is hard on your knife. Hard rubber, like SaniTuff is also acceptable.

I'd suggest that you do a bit more research into your selection of a chef's knife (gyuto). Not that there is anything wrong with the three you mention, but there are a lot of other knives that, in my opinion, are better values. Do a little more reading of the threads in this forum and you'll see what I mean.

If I had to pick one of the three, it would be the Sakai Takayuki Grand Cheff. I have a Yoshikane, and it is a good knife, but it is not anywhere near as light and nimble as the Grand Cheff. The MAC is a good workhorse in a pro environment, and it isn't a bad knife, just not a great knife.

Don't forget that any knife is only as good as its edge, and budget for a waterstone to sharpen it. If you are just starting out, a combination stone line the King 1000/6000 is a good stone to start with.

Rick

I've used all but the GrandChef and as others have said, they are okay. I actually don't like the Ultimate series as much as other lines of MAC. They basically just have big, heavy handles and thicker blades. You want "the best" 240 gyuto under $300? I'd probably go with a Kochi from Japanese Knife Imports. The only drawback for you might be the fact that it is not stain resistant. For stainless, I would probably go with Gesshin Ginga stainless or save myself some cash and go with a Suisin INOX. I tried one recently and I have to say, I was pretty impressed with the performance and fit and finish independent of cost.

I got yoshikane 150, 210 in SKD12 and a 240 SLD in black damascus. Easy to sharpen and cuts like a dream. On top of that yoshi's can be bought for a reasonable price. Take a look here: www.japanesenaturalstones.com ... this is Maxim's store (from this forum). He has a few SKD's in stock ... if you can live with custom specs. instead of standard.

And ... welcome

I liked my Grand Cheff early on, but sold it after trying other lasers like Konosuke HD/white#2 which you can pretty much get for the same price now and had better edge retention.

Currently I have the Yoshikane SKD hammered and am loving it--its a more robust knife overall with no flex versus the thinner knives, but the geometry is awesome and the SKD steel holds an edge longer than my other steels. Just out of the knives you listed, I would go with the Yosh.

However, there are so many other options outside of what you mentioned, but its almost impossible to narrow it down without any other info: yo/wa handle, curvy/flatter profile, carbon/stainless/semi-stainless, etc.

Exclamation further confusion

Great, you all made this even harder on me!

See, after a lot of research, most of which was done in this forum I believe, those were the three brads I thought everyone was raving about!

Ok, so:
    Konosuke
    SuisinINOX
    Gesshin Ginga
    Kochi

These are now the brands I should be looking at... anything else to add to the list????

Quote Originally Posted by chrisg View Post
    Great, you all made this even harder on me!

See, after a lot of research, most of which was done in this forum I believe, those were the three brads I thought everyone was raving about!

Ok, so:
    Konosuke
    SuisinINOX
    Gesshin Ginga
    Kochi

These are now the brands I should be looking at... anything else to add to the list????
    ? You got 3 answers suggesting yoshi = most recommended - and then you change your mind and it's not even in your list ... now I'm the one who's confused

Haha, well since there were all those other suggestions, and also the comment of "knives of better value", I thought I'd continue my research. But now I am also looking into the rest of the lineup of the Yoshikane as well.

+ Reply to Thread