Quantcast
Big Green Egg worth the admission price? - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Green Egg worth the admission price?

I've been looking at BGE for years and they never seemed to be very convenient when it came time to add additional wood or charcoal. So if you're going to smoke something for 8 to 10 hours how do you go about keeping the fire going? And another thing I was wondering about. When you're smoking for long periods, you need to protect the meat from the direct heat source so how do you go about doing that. I know people do all these things, I've just never seen it done and it seems I'm missing out on a great piece of BBQ equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by 99Limited View Post
    I've been looking at BGE for years and they never seemed to be very convenient when it came time to add additional wood or charcoal. So if you're going to smoke something for 8 to 10 hours how do you go about keeping the fire going? And another thing I was wondering about. When you're smoking for long periods, you need to protect the meat from the direct heat source so how do you go about doing that. I know people do all these things, I've just never seen it done and it seems I'm missing out on a great piece of BBQ equipment.
    I don't own one but have been reading Kamado cooker forums for years (BGE, Grill Dome, Primo, Komodo Kamado, etc.) and am still considering buying a Kamado-style cooker. (Dream cooker is a Komodo Kamado but it's pricey!) Almost all owners have had no problem doing an 8 to 10 hour cook. In fact, most owners say that they can do two 8 to 10 hour cooks on a full load of charcoal. So while it's inconvenient to add charcoal (you would have to remove the food, grill, etc.) during a cook, you won't need to as long as you put enough in the beginning.

Most people use a Plate Setter - it's a piece of equipment placed over the charcoal and heat source; some other makers have a lowered grate (to either use for grilling at a lower level and higher heat) that you can also put a small pizza stone on to deflect the direct heat (I believe Grill Dome offers something like this).

Check out the forums for these cookers. There's THOUSANDS (literally) of threads and users out there who write about these kinds of issues and their experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by 99Limited View Post
    When you light the BGE for slow smoking you need to use the minion method. Basically, fill the firebox as much as possible with lump charcoal. Then light a small portion of lump and get it up to your desired temp, then close off the vents as needed to keep it steady. I've heard of people getting 20+ hours on a single load of lump, no need to replace the coals mid cook, they're very efficient. Include a few wood chunks with the lump to ensure that you have plenty of smoke throughout your cook.

Lots of information about this on nakedwhiz.com/ceramic

To protect your meat from direct heat you need to use a plate setter. Basically, it adds ceramic mass while raising the cooking grid a couple inches away from the heat. Here is a Bubba Keg using a BGE plate setter. Typically, people will put a drip pan on top of the plate setter underneath the grid.

I look at the egg, but went with the Treager pellet grill instead for ease of use. I have two now.
    Here a link to a review if you don't know what they are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XSJg...e_gdata_player

I did a brisket for 24 hours on one load of charcoal with fuel to spare. Before I got a plate setter I used an extra grill with fire bricks on it under the regular grill and it worked just fine. I only bought the plate setter because of gadgetitis, butt it does do the job. With a pizza stone on the plate setter you have a ton of ceramic mass, and the shape of the cooker radiates heat onto the top of the pie, duplicating the effect of a woodfired oven.
    The BGE forum is an ocean of information, with all of the technique anyone could ever ask for!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

As long as we are talking egg is there a local Hard Lump Charcoal available at a big box that is worth it? I have tried a few and was disappointed. I found the hardlump review site but nothing that tops the list is available locally.

Quote Originally Posted by rahimlee54 View Post
    As long as we are talking egg is there a local Hard Lump Charcoal available at a big box that is worth it? I have tried a few and was disappointed. I found the hardlump review site but nothing that tops the list is available locally.
    Most big box stores have no selection of lump charcoal. However, I tried the Barbecues Galore Hardwood Lump Charcoal (NOT MESQUITE) recently. It's way better than Cowboy (available at Lowe's), Whole Foods (same as Cowboy), any Kingsford briquette, and IMHO, equal to B&B. Most of the pieces in the bag were good size, with some especially large pieces that are fantastic for smoking. The 20 lb. bag is like $15. It's a lot better than the BGE charcoal they sell which is like $30 bucks for a 20 lb. bag.

Barbecues Galore is nationwide so you should be able to find one reasonably close to you.

I get mine at a local food service supply place, Lazzari mesquite, 40 lbs. for around 13 bucks. Some people don't like the intensity of mesquite, butt the lazzari is not overpowering at all.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by rahimlee54 View Post
    My go to lump is Royal Oak, which is readily available at any Wal Mart. It's very well rated on the Naked Whiz lump comparison page.

Rahim, you have to tell us what "local" means to you. Also, check a feed and grain store if you have one nearby. One near me, independently owned, carries Humphrey's, one of the best out there IMHO at really great prices. Check where you bought your smoker, they probably carry charcoal as well. If you live in Canada, Maple Leaf Charcoal is readily available and good stuff

Any one coming to the ECG, I'll probably have two BGEs fired up doing 20#+ chuck roasts Gotta feed the masses