Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Green Egg worth the admission price?

Big Green Egg worth the admission price?

I have been looking at the eggs for a couple of years and I am finally considering one. I have a UDS for smoking a a weber charcoal for grilling, so I was wondering if the BGE is worth the price of admission. It does look much better and a number of people have them so there must be something to them. So I was just looking for opinions one way or the other.

Thanks

I think it's the only way to go. Love mine.... some pictures HERE

I don't have an Egg, but I was able to pick up a Comet Kamado (BGE knockoff--almost an exact clone) dirt cheap. It is the best cooker I have. You simply cannot beat the range of a ceramic cooker, you can smoke cheese at 75* or cook 3 minute pizzas at 750* and anything in between. I love it so much I want to buy an actual Egg (the fit and finish on the Comet is lacking).

Here's a current thread on a BBQ forum about the Egg.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=103019

egg is the best ond only cooker you will ever need. most of us have more than one. take a look at eggheadforum.com. i cook on mine all year long .

I have a "Kamado" from Richard Johnson's company (?) and that usually gets the fireworks going....like the BGE, it is a really wonderful ceramic cooker. I think I've had mine for about 15 years and paid a sinfully low $500 delivered no tax. Either of the two and I'm sure some of the 'replicas' will work great. Big props to the BGE forum and community.

I always add that one of the best bang for the bucks has to be the Weber WSM. I think that'll give you about 90% of the cooking capability of a ceramic for about 20% of the price. I paid about $150 for mine in 1981 and although it has been retired to the family mountain cabin, it still q's or grills like a charm.

Found a used large pretty close by considering it. Egg does look cool though.

Thanks for the opinions guys.

Jared

One more for the Egg. The range of capabilities is a really strong suit. One load of lump will slow cook for well over 24 hours.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Used large what? BGE?
    If it's an egg I wouldn't spend too much time considering it, it's not the type of thing the comes up for sale much

Quote Originally Posted by rahimlee54 View Post
    Found a used large pretty close by considering it. Egg does look cool though.

Thanks for the opinions guys.

Jared

Yes large BGE, I sent the guy an email as he didn't have a phone number up. He has 2 and they have been up for 4 days so maybe they are still there.