Big Green Egg worth the admission price?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rahimlee54

Founding Member
Reaction score
I have been looking at the eggs for a couple of years and I am finally considering one. I have a UDS for smoking a a weber charcoal for grilling, so I was wondering if the BGE is worth the price of admission. It does look much better and a number of people have them so there must be something to them. So I was just looking for opinions one way or the other.

Thanks

I think it's the only way to go. Love mine.... some pictures HERE

I don't have an Egg, but I was able to pick up a Comet Kamado (BGE knockoff--almost an exact clone) dirt cheap. It is the best cooker I have. You simply cannot beat the range of a ceramic cooker, you can smoke cheese at 75* or cook 3 minute pizzas at 750* and anything in between. I love it so much I want to buy an actual Egg (the fit and finish on the Comet is lacking).

I have a "Kamado" from Richard Johnson's company (?) and that usually gets the fireworks going....like the BGE, it is a really wonderful ceramic cooker. I think I've had mine for about 15 years and paid a sinfully low $500 delivered no tax. Either of the two and I'm sure some of the 'replicas' will work great. Big props to the BGE forum and community.

I always add that one of the best bang for the bucks has to be the Weber WSM. I think that'll give you about 90% of the cooking capability of a ceramic for about 20% of the price. I paid about $150 for mine in 1981 and although it has been retired to the family mountain cabin, it still q's or grills like a charm.

Found a used large pretty close by considering it. Egg does look cool though.

Thanks for the opinions guys.

Jared

One more for the Egg. The range of capabilities is a really strong suit. One load of lump will slow cook for well over 24 hours.

Used large what? BGE?
If it's an egg I wouldn't spend too much time considering it, it's not the type of thing the comes up for sale much

Found a used large pretty close by considering it. Egg does look cool though.

Thanks for the opinions guys.

Jared

Yes large BGE, I sent the guy an email as he didn't have a phone number up. He has 2 and they have been up for 4 days so maybe they are still there.

Yes large BGE, I sent the guy an email as he didn't have a phone number up. He has 2 and they have been up for 4 days so maybe they are still there.

JUMP ON IT! Used Eggs don't pop up often.

Any chance this is So Cal or even Arizona (I'll be there this weekend)? I'd be interested in the second Egg.

Opposite side of the US sorry :(. Link here in case someone in the NC area wants one. Haven't heard from the guy but if he does have them I'll have to rent something to haul one on unless it can fit in a Toyota Avalon trunk?

You can disassemble them to fit in a car. Bring some tarps, tho..........

The advantage of a BGE over your uds and weber charcoal is that the BGE can get super hot. I don't own one, but I've never heard anyone say they regret buying one. You can never spend too much money on smokers/cookers!

Opposite side of the US sorry :(. Link here in case someone in the NC area wants one. Haven't heard from the guy but if he does have them I'll have to rent something to haul one on unless it can fit in a Toyota Avalon trunk?

Definitely go buy one of those. $500 for the Egg, the nest and the plate setter is a STEAL and is over 50% off retail. In case you don't know, the plate setter is crucial for slow smoking, baking and making pizza. I don't know what other accessories are included in the one for $650, but they could be worth it as well depending on what he has.

You guys are killing me here. We are getting up to our necks in debt to build our dream kitchen, and now you are trying to convince me to buy a couple $700+ grills and move the cooking operation outside. :slaphead: You are almost worse then Dave M. And Pierre. And Devin. And Butch. And Del. :angry1:

:help3:

You guys are killing me here. We are getting up to our necks in debt to build our dream kitchen, and now you are trying to convince me to buy a couple $700+ grills and move the cooking operation outside. :slaphead: You are almost worse then Dave M. And Pierre. And Devin. And Butch. And Del. :angry1:

:help3:

Enablers, all of them. I should know. :bashhead:

i will add another positive vote for the BGE. I use it year round as it does not care what temp it is outside. Great all purpose grill/smoker/oven

I wish I had a place to set one of those up. Neighbors in a downstairs apartment have one chained to their lamp post. Actually, I should take it away from them because they don't use it enough... :)

Stefan

As long as it's not chained shut, it doesn't sound like you need to buy one at all Stefan.... :)

I've been looking at BGE for years and they never seemed to be very convenient when it came time to add additional wood or charcoal. So if you're going to smoke something for 8 to 10 hours how do you go about keeping the fire going? And another thing I was wondering about. When you're smoking for long periods, you need to protect the meat from the direct heat source so how do you go about doing that. I know people do all these things, I've just never seen it done and it seems I'm missing out on a great piece of BBQ equipment.

I've been looking at BGE for years and they never seemed to be very convenient when it came time to add additional wood or charcoal. So if you're going to smoke something for 8 to 10 hours how do you go about keeping the fire going? And another thing I was wondering about. When you're smoking for long periods, you need to protect the meat from the direct heat source so how do you go about doing that. I know people do all these things, I've just never seen it done and it seems I'm missing out on a great piece of BBQ equipment.

I don't own one but have been reading Kamado cooker forums for years (BGE, Grill Dome, Primo, Komodo Kamado, etc.) and am still considering buying a Kamado-style cooker. (Dream cooker is a Komodo Kamado but it's pricey!) Almost all owners have had no problem doing an 8 to 10 hour cook. In fact, most owners say that they can do two 8 to 10 hour cooks on a full load of charcoal. So while it's inconvenient to add charcoal (you would have to remove the food, grill, etc.) during a cook, you won't need to as long as you put enough in the beginning.

Most people use a Plate Setter - it's a piece of equipment placed over the charcoal and heat source; some other makers have a lowered grate (to either use for grilling at a lower level and higher heat) that you can also put a small pizza stone on to deflect the direct heat (I believe Grill Dome offers something like this).

Check out the forums for these cookers. There's THOUSANDS (literally) of threads and users out there who write about these kinds of issues and their experiences.

When you light the BGE for slow smoking you need to use the minion method. Basically, fill the firebox as much as possible with lump charcoal. Then light a small portion of lump and get it up to your desired temp, then close off the vents as needed to keep it steady. I've heard of people getting 20+ hours on a single load of lump, no need to replace the coals mid cook, they're very efficient. Include a few wood chunks with the lump to ensure that you have plenty of smoke throughout your cook.

Lots of information about this on nakedwhiz.com/ceramic

To protect your meat from direct heat you need to use a plate setter. Basically, it adds ceramic mass while raising the cooking grid a couple inches away from the heat. Here is a Bubba Keg using a BGE plate setter. Typically, people will put a drip pan on top of the plate setter underneath the grid.

bubba-keg-with-plate-setter.jpg

2583100706_397e723366.jpg

I did a brisket for 24 hours on one load of charcoal with fuel to spare. Before I got a plate setter I used an extra grill with fire bricks on it under the regular grill and it worked just fine. I only bought the plate setter because of gadgetitis, butt it does do the job. With a pizza stone on the plate setter you have a ton of ceramic mass, and the shape of the cooker radiates heat onto the top of the pie, duplicating the effect of a woodfired oven.
The BGE forum is an ocean of information, with all of the technique anyone could ever ask for!

As long as we are talking egg is there a local Hard Lump Charcoal available at a big box that is worth it? I have tried a few and was disappointed. I found the hardlump review site but nothing that tops the list is available locally.

As long as we are talking egg is there a local Hard Lump Charcoal available at a big box that is worth it? I have tried a few and was disappointed. I found the hardlump review site but nothing that tops the list is available locally.

Most big box stores have no selection of lump charcoal. However, I tried the Barbecues Galore Hardwood Lump Charcoal (NOT MESQUITE) recently. It's way better than Cowboy (available at Lowe's), Whole Foods (same as Cowboy), any Kingsford briquette, and IMHO, equal to B&B. Most of the pieces in the bag were good size, with some especially large pieces that are fantastic for smoking. The 20 lb. bag is like $15. It's a lot better than the BGE charcoal they sell which is like $30 bucks for a 20 lb. bag.

Barbecues Galore is nationwide so you should be able to find one reasonably close to you.

I get mine at a local food service supply place, Lazzari mesquite, 40 lbs. for around 13 bucks. Some people don't like the intensity of mesquite, butt the lazzari is not overpowering at all.

My go to lump is Royal Oak, which is readily available at any Wal Mart. It's very well rated on the Naked Whiz lump comparison page.

Rahim, you have to tell us what "local" means to you. Also, check a feed and grain store if you have one nearby. One near me, independently owned, carries Humphrey's, one of the best out there IMHO at really great prices. Check where you bought your smoker, they probably carry charcoal as well. If you live in Canada, Maple Leaf Charcoal is readily available and good stuff :)

Any one coming to the ECG, I'll probably have two BGEs fired up doing 20#+ chuck roasts :) Gotta feed the masses ;)

Latest posts

Back