Quantcast
No mokume for the ring, she says
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No mokume for the ring, she says

No mokume for the ring, she says

I've been trying to get ideas for an engagement ring lately. Design the engagement ring and the wedding bands together make it all look really cool... Of course I was considering mokume for all the bands themselves, but just have a stone (or a stone plus some flankers) set in the engagement ring. Then, one day at dinner with some friends we got on the topic of engagement rings. The moral of the story from other guys' experience was, "Make sure you get input from her on the ring in some way, or you might end up with something she won't like."

Okay. Believe it or not, that was actually a bit of a revelation for me!

So, while I was traveling with my girlfriend last month, I floated the idea of mokume rings. Her response? "No. I'd feel like I was wearing one of your knives."

Good thing I asked
    Len

There are so many rules you have to learn and men have a disability when it comes to this. I was told by my daughter, for instance, that I was not allowed to date a women young enough to date a man who she might date. I never heard of this rule, but it's out there. I think there are some rules about unilateral decisions in a marriage. Some involve a threshold of percent of household income, some are much more enigmatic and beyond the reach of mortal men. Jewelry of any kind is the most difficult concept to master. You must take notes about what she owns and does not, what she looks at when she passes the store. You need a check list that includes such things as 'Is she a gold person, or a silver person?' The safest technique is to go into stores with her and when she says 'Isn't this nice?' wink at the sales person and they will set it aside for you. Congratulations!
    Everywhere you go, there you are.

Well, the doubly-hard part here is that my girlfriend isn't a ring person to begin with. She just really doesn't wear rings. Are there any alternate approaches to rings that you've heard of?

Girlfriends and dating I'm familiar with, but you're right, I'm starting into new territory now
    Len

Quote Originally Posted by echerub View Post
    Well, the doubly-hard part here is that my girlfriend isn't a ring person to begin with. She just really doesn't wear rings. Are there any alternate approaches to rings that you've heard of?

Girlfriends and dating I'm familiar with, but you're right, I'm starting into new territory now
    You should thank God for that - My wife however is a ring person - when we were shopping for her ring, it took us until a trip to Chicago to get a salesperson who understood her "requirements". I would have really F*d it up if I had tried to do it on my own. I had no clue what I was getting into.

Things like GIA certified,size,color,clarity,amount of flaws are useful. Many women have preference on type of cut and silver/platinum vs gold. Hey it's not going to thrill me if my wife didn't want to wear a ring. They aren't just for looks. They tell other people she is married. Hope anything I said helps. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by DeepCSweede View Post
    You should thank God for that - My wife however is a ring person - when we were shopping for her ring, it took us until a trip to Chicago to get a salesperson who understood her "requirements". I would have really F*d it up if I had tried to do it on my own. I had no clue what I was getting into.
    I want a D flawless either the heart of eternity or the millennium
    Star. You do love me right...if you love me...

Btw no harm meant. My dad became GIA certified by the guy who started GIA has the scope, specific gravity test, color diamond sets etc. To make sure he didn't get burned buying my mom's requirements. We even had a jewelry business as a side hobby to get better deals. Hong kong for diamonds, India for star sapphires, Australia and Sri Lanka for opals. It was a good hobby til the diamond market was flooded. Makes our knife hobby look like a extremely cheap habit.

When buying a an engagement ring, do as Seth recommended and pick up on her desires and what she may not like. Be honest, loving and sincere in what you purchase. Give from the heart, with only her in mind, doing your best to see the world through her eyes.

Women go for that crap like crazy.

"Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough." —Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by echerub View Post

you get her the right ring and I guaranty she will wear it.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by mano View Post
    When buying a an engagement ring, do as Seth recommended and pick up on her desires and what she may not like. Be honest, loving and sincere in what you purchase. Give from the heart, with only her in mind, doing your best to see the world through her eyes.

Women go for that crap like crazy.

Hax the Cook CLEAVERS RULE!!!
    A barbeque believer will not profane pork by boiling, liquid-smoking, submeging in sous-vide, or affirm with those who do.

@Deckhand No harm taken

Her actual quote was - I waited X years for this ring and I am going to get what I want. Gave me some heartburn when we were shopping, but I am actually glad she got what she wanted and even more so - she was able to design the band too. Luckily, our guy in Chicago really set her straight on downsizing her "requirements" on color and clarity and got her to focus on getting a good quality stone in the perfect cut.