Need help with pork loin roast

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shinob1

Reaction score
I need some advice on making a pork loin roast. I have a 1.5 pound roast that I want to make with some roasted veggies.

What I planned on doing is searing the meat in some olive oil. Then I was going to remove the meat and then sauté onions and carrots briefly in the same pan. Once the onions start to sweet, I was going to put the meat back in and put the skillet in a 350 degree oven for 20 to 30 minutes.

If I cook the meal this way, will the pork dry out? Also, will the veggies cook enough or perhaps too much?

I'm making this tomorrow for my mom and wife and want to make sure that it comes out okay.

Any help is appreciated!:thumbsup:

I think at 350, you don't want to be more than about 10 minutes to a temp of 135 for medium rare. Cover and rest will bring you to 140. You can get a nice little pan sauce out of your procedure also.

I think at 350, you don't want to be more than about 10 minutes to a temp of 135 for medium rare. Cover and rest will bring you to 140. You can get a nice little pan sauce out of your procedure also.

DO this...

But I wouldn't use extra virgin...it'll add a popcorn flavor you don't want if you cook with it for that long at those temps.

Use canola, safflower, lard..

Just my preference but I always taste popcorn when olive oil gets used for high-ish heat cooking.

I'll use another oil, thx for the tip. I'm hoping to make a pan sauce from the drippings. I haven't done that before, but what I was going to do is deglaze with stock, (keeping it simple as I have picky eaters), reduce, then take it off the heat and melt cold butter to thicken it up. Will that work?

Thanks for the advice so far!

If you cut your veggies to thin you will end up with chard looking veggies on the bottom. you can also cook the veggies after you take the roast out of the oven, which will put more veggie flavor in your end sauce.

De glaze with wine and stock transfer to a pot and bring to a boil, then reduce. Add a sachet of thyme, rosemary, peppercorn and garlic clove. Make a small amount of roux in a medium pan with about equal parts butter and flour. It should be about the consistency of smooth peanut butter. Cook this for about 2 minutes or so to remove the raw flour taste. Now use this to thicken your drippings. Careful, a little goes a long way. In a pot with the reduction add it and mix it fully, now wait. It takes a second for the roux to fully activate when it comes to a full boil. Add more and wait again as needed. Strain, season.

Back