Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Apologies to the purists

Apologies to the purists

I tried to learn to appreciate patina. But the knives from Dave and Randy are simply too georgous to do it. I posted the Patina on Dave's gyuto, but I had to polish it out.

And Randy is after me to let patina develop on tha Galaxy knife.

I just can't do it. Perhaps in time I will learn to appreciate patina. But for now, the knives these guys have built for me are too pretty to let it happen. They have spent so much time and effort to provide the perfect finish.

Maybe I will learn.

Keith
    If you reach the age of 60 without becoming a curmudgeon, you haven't been paying attention.

Hey, I didn't particularly like patina either but it's growing on me. The flip side of it is you know you are wearing away your precious blade every time you polish it, haha.

Patina is part of the charm of a carbon knife, if you ask me. But hey, if you ask you, it isn't. That's cool by me. I have to admit, it does look damned good all polished up like that!
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Randy recommended Renaissance wax, which is my solution now. We'll see how that works.

I'm new to this obsession, so perhaps I will learn. I have always endeavored to keep tools in perfect, new condition. Patina hurts my head.

K
    If you reach the age of 60 without becoming a curmudgeon, you haven't been paying attention.

Eye of the beholder and all that. Personally, I view a nicely developed patina as a badge of honorable service...but shiny doesn't offend me.

It's your knife keep it looking however you want but I love a nice patina... Let's me know the knife is a tool that is being used not a display item and I love how the patina is constantly changing, but that's just me.

sounds like Dave needs to start making some nice stainless knives

I was once told that Renaissance is a partly synthetic wax. I love the finish it creates on wood. I have been finishing some of my knife handles with a penetrating oil (Danish) and finally this wax. So my question is are you using this on the blade?
    Everywhere you go, there you are.

I would suggest you stray from carbon knives. LOTS of shiny stainless knives around which won't discolor food, unless you don't intend to use the carbon knives.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Neal View Post
    Randy recommended Renaissance wax, which is my solution now. We'll see how that works.

I'm new to this obsession, so perhaps I will learn. I have always endeavored to keep tools in perfect, new condition. Patina hurts my head.

K
    I use renaissance wax on my handles and it has a god awful stink to it,I personally would not want it on my blade.