Quantcast
Logo Placement Left or Right Side Your Thoughts - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Logo Placement Left or Right Side Your Thoughts

I think right side looks better if you want to have one. I also think none at all is kind of badass!

I was taught that the left side (back) is for the makers mark and the right side (front) is reserved for dedication or personalization.

Marko, you might recall that I wrestled with this myself and yielded to the left side as that was the consensus from the members here. I still like the right side better personally though, maybe it's all those Japanese knives I've seen and like Rick I like the right side showing on my knives when on a mag block. Maybe Spike has the answer here?

I like the right side for a couple reasons. If you have a knife with a flat backside and convex right side, the logo won't take as much abuse. Also, if you make traditional single-bevels, they won't match if you mark the left side.

The biggest reason is because I like to see my Kanji/logo/MM on my blades when I put them down. It's part of the aesthetic. When the knife gets set on the board, edge facing away, the right side is up. It's just from my time at the sushi bar, I was so proud of my knives, and your station has to look picture-perfect all the time, and I liked that my Tojiro's hideous English side faced down.

So it goes that for lefty knives, it'd be on the other side.

Yes it is a struggle, but I am leaning toward the right side, mostly because of the aesthetics.

I asked Devin about this. He told me the old-school makers consider left side a presentation side, so when you hold a knife in your right hand, one can see the logo. However, from the 70's on, logos started appearing on either of the sides.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by ThEoRy View Post
    To me it makes a difference. When I hang my knives up on a mag, I place the left side against the magnet so the edge faces right. I like to see the kanji or makers mark when I hang up my blades.
    +1

I plan to store/display my knives this way someday (as I plan to own one of yours Marko), and the fact that they are not all marked on the same side of the blade already bothers me and my (self-diagnosed) OCD.

I was not aware that there was a Japanese/American custom, but assuming this is true, your reasoning for going right is sound.

Go right. It looks better, will match more of my knives (!), and is what you yourself prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by BurkeCutlery View Post
    ...Kanji/logo/MM on my blades when I put them down...
    I don't care either way, really but if you want people to know I'm using your knife, you will put the logo on the right side since I'm right handed and I always place my knife at rest pointing left on the board, edge away and people usually stand in front of me when I'm cooking for a group.

Quote Originally Posted by Rottman View Post
    Left for lefty knives, right for righties. That's what I do.
    This sounds correct to me.

Maybe just what I am used to, or many of the reasons talked about above, but I really like logos on the right in the traditional japanese tradition. Left side logos just don't seem right. Many of the single bevels I own have the main stuff on the right and some smaller kanji on the back which also works.
    Everywhere you go, there you are.

Takeda puts his on the left, FWIW.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

+ Reply to Thread