Quantcast
Suji
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suji

Suji

I need a budget suji. I bought the Fujiwara FKM 270mm but I guess it turns out it is the yanagiba, or atleast it looks like it. So I am going to treat it like a Yanagiba. So my question is I have decided 270 is wayyyy to big for my station 210-240 seems to be the sweet spot for my station. What budget 210-240 Suji do you guys reccomend? Budget is under the $150 mark and the $100 mark is a beautiful thing for me. As always thanks for any and all help.

Carbon or Stainless preference? Kikuichi carbon 240 and Suisin Inox are around $125.

I am probably ok with carbon, I don't have any carbon knives. I will say that carbon on a busy line is kind of a worry, but I take care of my knives, so I am willing to try it. Suisin under $125 where?

http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/...-sujihiki.html
    That would be my vote (although I don't know the steel) along with a CarboNEXT, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/...-sujihiki.html
    That would be my vote (although I don't know the steel) along with a CarboNEXT, probably.
    So it is between that Suisin, Tojiro 210 or 240, Carbonext 240, Fujiwara fkh/fkm 240 (actual suji this time), or if someone else has something else to add.

Btw, what do you mean it looks like a yanagiba? Is is single beveled?

It looks like a yanagi, its flat on the back this is the pic from the Sujihiki listing on Japanesechefsknife.com, I bought it from someone not them but it looks just like this

But the Suji should look like this

I didn't even know Fujiwara made a yanagi.

Hmm. That reminds me. I think I did see someone post about this a long while back...

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    Hmm. That reminds me. I think I did see someone post about this a long while back...
    Yeah, it is all good the person who sold it to me thought it was a Suji they never used it so it is fine. Still a very solid knife it is just not an every day line knife that I can cut protiens and everything with. Thus the suji idea.

I'm looking for a budget suji also but can't find one in 210 size. Really wanted to try out the carbonext but they don't have that size.