Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Strange Foods Your Mother Used to Cook

Strange Foods Your Mother Used to Cook

I'm not talking about cultural or ethnic foods as such but just wondering if some of you remember somewhat weirdo foods from your childhood. My mother used to take leftover mashed potatoes, mix with chopped spinach and pan fry. I don't remember if any additional binders were used. I suppose this was supposed to be a form of potato latka. Also, sliced hot dogs in pea soup. I also vaguely remember a blintz type thing; cottage cheese sandwiched between to saltine crackers and baked or fried. (Didn't really eat these.)
    Everywhere you go, there you are.

My folks were on the atkins diet and we'd occasionally have hamburger patties(just a lump of ground beef) with pickapeppa sauce on it. They also would put pepperoni on mozzerella cheese and microwave it on a plate. Stank something fierce, and ruined the microwave for days.

For some reason, growing up, all the salads had the stem still on the tomato.

I'm having trouble remembering...my mother was a damn fine cook, but I'm sure there were some more oddball things in there.

Experimental casserole dinner- if its in the cabinet, its going to be in the casserole.

My grandmother- everything velveeta

My mom used cut up hot dogs in soup as well, though it was potato soup. A casserole recipe she liked to cook was called "Cat Barf" which tasted pretty good. It was spaghetti squash with marinara and cheese baked in the oven. Only other thing I can remember that was a little off the wall was when I was a little kid. We used to have these things called sail boats. Basically, a hot dog cut length wise, mashed potatoes on top with slices of american cheese cut to look like sails and held up with tooth picks.

Nuteena

The incredibly sophisticated Boise, ID <g>
    Your family vegetarian?

Quote Originally Posted by bikehunter View Post
    Your family vegetarian?
    Family is SDA and no I am not vegetarian, but grew up eating that way a lot.

I'm a bit unclear on this. Some SDA eat meat but most don't??

Quote Originally Posted by bikehunter View Post
    I'm a bit unclear on this. Some SDA eat meat but most don't??
    The conservatives don't on general health principles. Don't drink, smoke, eat vegetarian, exercise. For example Loma Linda is a blue zone. Meaning longer life expectancy. Kind of guinea pigs for good health. Even school focus is usually, doctor,dentist,nurse, etc. Southern California is a little more casual ie church potluck with two tables at some churches a meat table, and vegetarian table. Nothing really weird just a Protestant church that has sabbath from Friday night to Saturday night from the ten commandments for sabbath like the Jews. That being said SDA schools like Loma Linda and PUC up in Napa Valley serve vegetarian food only.

Maybe that the source of my confusion. I lived most of my life in Napa Valley, so assumed all SDA were vegetarian. Thanks for clearing that up.