Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Strange Foods Your Mother Used to Cook

Mother's food was mostly normal, but my Dad had recently returned from Europe in WWII, and developed a love of Spam, sauteed until crisp, and served with scrambled eggs for breakfast, and Kippered Herring, also served with scrambled eggs for breakfast.

I still love Spam, but rarely admit it in public.
    If you reach the age of 60 without becoming a curmudgeon, you haven't been paying attention.

The incredibly sophisticated Boise, ID <g>
    Fried Spam rules, and I don't give a rip what anyone think thinks about it....foodie snobs included. <g.

Quote Originally Posted by bikehunter View Post
    Maybe that the source of my confusion. I lived most of my life in Napa Valley, so assumed all SDA were vegetarian. Thanks for clearing that up.
    No problem Hope it didn't come across preachy. Just explaining the culture. I really miss Napa. I used to get walnuts from my grandparents orchard in St. Helena and found petrified wood around their house. I miss sandwiches at Giugnis Deli, and Cinnabar and Boskos in Calistoga don't know if I spelled those right. Used to run around with Robert Mondavi Jr. and Brian Power who's parents at that time had the Nut Tree on I80.

Not preachy at all. Just looking for information and you supplied it. As you know, almost all of those walnut groves (along with the apples and prunes) are long gone. Given over to grapes on every square inch of ground which could possibly grow them . I spent 25 years in the Napa Valley wine industry, but still feel a pang of regret when I see that every other Napa valley crop is gone forever.

My mother used to fix Lamb Fries. As a kid who had a mother that was a great cook, I never asked what something was. If I liked it, I ate it and I loved Lamb Fries. It wasn't until I was 12 or 13 that my older brother told me what they were. Now that I'm quite a bit older and would like to fix them myself, I can't find them anywhere. I guess they end up in being used in Spam.

*edit* ok I looked it up. Lamb Fries are testicles.

I would love to find some place that sells testicles prepared well, I'd love to try them after all the hype.

I'm having trouble defining what is cultural and what is just oddball. I mean, sometimes we'd have sliced white bread with butter and white sugar on it. That is strange, gross, and dangerous as hell to me today, but it isn't that uncommon(at least here below the Mason-Dixon line).

Also my dad would mix up rolled oats, great grains ceral, raisins, dates, and muesli into a cereal that was the only acceptable alternative to eggs and porkchops for breakfast(we raised pigs). I got older and loved watching outsiders who are used to Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs pour a bowl of that stuff bragging about how much cereal they eat. I don't think I've ever seen anyone outside of my family finish a bowl at all.

Quote Originally Posted by BurkeCutlery View Post
    *edit* ok I looked it up. Lamb Fries are testicles.

I would love to find some place that sells testicles prepared well, I'd love to try them after all the hype.

I'm having trouble defining what is cultural and what is just oddball. I mean, sometimes we'd have sliced white bread with butter and white sugar on it. That is strange, gross, and dangerous as hell to me today, but it isn't that uncommon(at least here below the Mason-Dixon line).

Also my dad would mix up rolled oats, great grains ceral, raisins, dates, and muesli into a cereal that was the only acceptable alternative to eggs and porkchops for breakfast(we raised pigs). I got older and loved watching outsiders who are used to Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs pour a bowl of that stuff bragging about how much cereal they eat. I don't think I've ever seen anyone outside of my family finish a bowl at all.
    Sometimes had toasted bread with butter,sugar, and cinnamon. Muesli is great stuff doesn't take much to fill up.

Quote Originally Posted by 99Limited View Post
    I guess they end up in being used in Spam.
    And for the better, I'd guess. lol

Spam is great. Thin and crispy or thick and juicy. Spam (well, its chinese-branded brothers) are staples in chinese households and Hong Kong tea houses!

Quote Originally Posted by slowtyper View Post
    Spam is great. Thin and crispy or thick and juicy. Spam (well, its chinese-branded brothers) are staples in chinese households and Hong Kong tea houses!
    And Hawaii