Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Honyaki

Honyaki

Been thinking of getting a honyaki but little confused if it is any better than San Mai knives. If I go for one which brand should I chose. Do not know if Watanabe makes them. What should I know about honyakis before getting it apart from the fact they are more expensive and difficult to sharpen.

edge holding is generally a bit better than their non-honyaki counterparts

What type of knife are you considering?

Have it all but most probably a santoku. I havent tried the PM steels but most likely I am gonna go for Shirogami if I find something. I do not have xperience with PM, never had one and I guess they will be pain in the ass to sharpen.

PM isnt as bad as many make it out to be. Some stones dont work well with them, others work just fine. I love my PM knives, have R2, SG2, ZDP, and enjoy them all.

JCK has a Mizuno Tanrenjo 180 mm white#2 Wa-Santoku in stock ($450). It's burried in the specials page so scroll down a bit.

i wouldn't buy a honyaki santoku, myself.

Why is that Maxim?

On zknives theres review of Watanabe Honyaki. Knife looks really gorgeous, just not sure if it works any better ...

Quote Originally Posted by andoniminev View Post
    Have it all but most probably a santoku. I havent tried the PM steels but most likely I am gonna go for Shirogami if I find something. I do not have xperience with PM, never had one and I guess they will be pain in the ass to sharpen.
    I don't think pm knives are that much harder to sharpen than honyaki; frankly, sharpening my takagi honyaki blue#1 scares me more than my zdp189 knife.