Saya or Storage Options for my DT 210!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcrano

Reaction score
Anyone have any ideas on where to get or who might make a saya or sheath of some kind for my new (and f-ing incredible) DT 210mm San Mai? Moving across country soon and want to take it with me protected. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Burke Cutlery has been making some for takedas and cleavers. Perhaps if you sent him a pm you might be able to work something out. That or a knife guard.

Depends on how much money you gonna spend :)

The best sayamaker imo is Marko
He did a DT ITK for me:
1293987706-DSC_1418.JPG

1293987694-DSC_1417.JPG

I have several works by Marko and recommend his work.

The DT is an awesome knife. Im glad I have 3 DTs in my drawer.
Hopefully I will have a custom some day :)

You might try one of the magnetic sayas that The Epicurean Edge sells. Have them try it for size. My 270 DT ITK fits in the 270 saya and the magnet takes up the slop.

Custom sayas and sheaths are nice, but you may not have the time to have one made, so here's a fallback:

Wrap the blade in kraft paper (or cut up a brown paper bag) and tape the wrapped blade to a piece of 1/4" plywood. Then wrap the whole thing in bubble wrap. Voila!

Rick

Thanks for all these ideas! I'll shoot out some PMs and see what comes back?

That Marko saya is just.. sexy.
Can't have been cheap.

Send it over, or give it to me in person when you are in NYC.

Did you do the saya and handle at the same time? Quite amazing.

I did. Both handle and saya came from the same piece of wood. However, wood for handle wasn't stabilized, but even with minimum treatment, it has held pretty well. Stabilizing will darken wood.

M

I did. Both handle and saya came from the same piece of wood. However, wood for handle wasn't stabilized, but even with minimum treatment, it has held pretty well. Stabilizing will darken wood.

M

Really amazing work. Even my wife who takes absolutely no interest in this forum said, "Wow, that's beautiful!"

Duct tape and cardboard son.

I've been doing this, too. Looks like crap, but it works. I guess I need to upgrade from green painters tape to duct tape, though. Adds strength and that faux damascus shine to your "saya".

I use clear shipping tape, and use a black marker to simulate ebony on the cardboard.

I use clear shipping tape, and use a black marker to simulate ebony on the cardboard.

My first thought when I read cardboard saya was using marker to make a DT feather Damascus cardboard saya:biggrin:

You could color some squiggly lines in crayon when use the marker or water color to simulate burl.

Ya, I have all sorts of ideas now!

If you just need a solution to protect the knife while moving, pack just like you would be shipping it: tape it to a piece of wood.

IMG_1402.JPG

Duct tape and cardboard son.

I left reading this one and did a:lmao: came back to this thread doing a :spitcoffee:

Now I am inspired dont know what I will do for my new saya's but I may post pics later.

Back