Stashed and then forgotten

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
Where I work we took an old mobile home and gutted it.
That was where I used to have my office like area and where I would store wood I wanted to keep protected from the elements and out of the public eye. Including my coworkers. They are likely to take a $1000 piece of wood and use it to make a $500 table. As I would buy wood from estates or wherever I could find unusual stuff I would store it inside the trailer. Now I can't get more than about 5 feet inside the trailer. Stuff piles up after several years go by.

This was from a plank that was at the edge of the jumble.
It is some Striped Ebony that was milled in 1983. It felt like I was lifting a big slab of iron.
I will cut these into blocks and send them to K&G. This type of ebony takes the stabilizing very well and is easier to work and finish afterwards.

se001.jpg

You are seeing it with over 30 years of dust in this photo. But it cleans up with orange and black stripes.
I was thinking it might be good for some WA handles.

The fellow I bought this from was the one who originally milled it.
He got a little mad when I called it Macassar Ebony. I got a heated education about Asian Ebonies after my ignorant comment.
He told me their local name for this type of Ebony which I promptly forgot. It is from Indonesia, so I call it Striped Indonesian Ebony. Or....we could call it Halloween Ebony since it is orange and black, or.....Harley Ebony. Unless you can come up with a better name.

Nice!!! I like this stuff and have used it with some very beautiful results!! Ill take a block or 3:)

Just how big are these blocks? Can we get a size reference picture?

Mark, does stabilizing ebony make it less brittle?

The stabilizing stops the movement and feels easier to sand.
I have sanded this stuff natural and stabilized, the stabilized was much easier.
Might have something to do with how the chemicals affect the natural oils in the wood?

These pieces in the photo are about 6" x 6" x 2"
I will be cutting them into blocks after I trim away any cracked portions (about 1/2)
I have a lot of this wood so anything with any flaws at all will be cut away.

I ventured a bit further into where the wood is stored and found more of the Old Growth Redwood Burl.
I cut up one of the slabs and got about 75 blocks. These are cut larger so most will yield 2 wa handles.
You can't tell from the photo but these are the type with the metallic flash. Now to send them to K&G.
rw002.jpg

Back