Wood Wine Rack Recommendations?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildBoar

Home cook, knife accumulator
KKF Supporting Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
Looking to install racks for ~300 bottles of wine in a corner room we had built in our addition basement. Not looking for anything fancy. No custom layout, no corner units, etc. No fancy wood; shooting for eredwood but would likely settle for pine. Probably two straight units that can each hold 100 - 200 bottles.

Any recommendations for online vendors? I've searched around a bit and found a couple (winecellar innovations and ewineracks), but am hoping to hear from someone with hands-on experience. Selection was pretty limited on wineenthusiest.

Thanks,

My wife picked up three of the Pine 44-Bottle Wine Racks from World Market. It is currently about $70 each online, but we picked it up on sale for $40 plus another 25% off with some coupon she had. We set up a make shift wine cellar under the stairs until we can build something nicer when we have the basement finished. These aren't high end by any means but serves the purpose very well, especially if you are operating in a budget. wineracksamerica.com seem to have a pretty decent selection.

Eric

Kristi -- thanks for the reply. I am sorry to report we puller the trigger on some racks on Tuesday.

But on the bright side, our order was for two 10-column redwood racks from Wine Cellar Innovation's Vintner Series. :cool2:

I really need to come by your place sometime. Great wine racks, Boardsmiths, great knives...

Also - I'm sure it is safe to assume there are a few good wines within those wine racks. Just make sure you take one along to add to it. :shots:

Hmmm, Travis does have access to a lot of good wines at work... :biggrin:

The 'wine cellar' is really just the happy result of an addition space that was only supposed to be at the first floor. But the concrete contractor convinced me to extend the basement walls a little further and make it basement space as well. Just in case it pissed off the City, we made all 4 walls concrete, and put in a door; if they objected to the added basement room I was prepared to fill it in with gravel, and then remove the gravel once the permit was closed out. The room that is too small for storage, but more then enough for the 100 or so bottles of wine we had spread out in the dining room, kitchen and basement.

We currently only have 2-3 cases of the good stuff, and half of that was given to us for wedding presents a couple years ago. It's high time I stored those bottles properly, as most have been kept upright for a while now. Plus having this space set up with some proper racks means I'll be more likely to splurge on 'put it away for a few years' wine going forward. So maybe around 2017 or so I'll break out a few bottles for any KKF members who may be in the vicinity :cool2:

It's high time I stored those bottles properly, as most have been kept upright for a while now.

I don't have to worry about that...screw tops hardly ever dry out.:razz::justkidding:

Seriously, sounds great; congratulations. And yes, I do wish I needed proper storage for that many bottles.

For our wedding we asked for wine, as we both already had houses full of 'stuff'. So we received a case or so of nice Italian and French reds, plus a handful of gift cards from Total Wine. That accounts for 75% of the good stuff we have so far. And some of the same guests have given us more bottles when visiting, for birthdays, etc. Another of our wedding gift wish list items was a villa in either Umbria, Tuscany or Bordeaux, but no one stepped up to the plate :curse:

:biggrin:

Plus having this space set up with some proper racks means I'll be more likely to splurge on 'put it away for a few years' wine going forward. So maybe around 2017 or so I'll break out a few bottles for any KKF members who may be in the vicinity :cool2:

That is pretty cool to be able to have a dedicated room just for wine. Do a little of both, splurge occasionally, pick up some day to days and save some. I have a good mix, plus some of my more expensive wines I picked up early and have had the patience to let them age. It helps to have the space to keep them though.

Back