Out of action for a few days.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WillC

Reaction score
I had mentioned it on my updates thread, but thought I had put a separate post so those waiting for work are aware of the delays. My neck freezes up on me from time to time. Its an occupational hazard and there are probably changes I can make to some work surface heights to help avoid it as I am working more in different ways with blade finishing, I will need to adapt to make long sessions comfortable.
Anyway sometimes it clears up as quickly as it comes on, with a little rest combined with stretching. Sometimes it turns into quite a painful situation where I need to be zonked out on painkillers for a few days to avoid it going into spasm. This is unfortunately now the case. Although it feels awful right now, it does seem to get better quite quickly after any inflamation subsides. So I will likely be unable to work for a week/10 days. I intend to see an osteopath monthly from now on even if I am having no problems. Hopefully this will help avoid delays in the future which are an annoyance to customers and a burden to the business. i notice most of the farmers around here visit an osteopath regularly to keep them fully operational, so i will do the same.
So if my posts go a bit ga ga for a while you also know why.:dazed:

Cheers Tom, its annoying when there's allot to get done. But maybe I can get some design stuff done later in the week at least. I'm seeing the osteopath on thursday, who is supposed to be excellent.

Thanks Dave, I went to the doctors and they supplied me with a weeks worth of the "good stuff" So I shall be nicely sedated in any case.:D

Hope you are back up n running quickly Will. Hope the meds do their trick for your pain.

Best fishes for a speedy recovery!

I'm finally back in the shop. I know what your going through, been there. Get well soon, but for now take your time, and feel better first! Meds are ok, but I hate living in a fog...

Don't rush back on my account. From my own experience of back problems, unless the problem is fully healed, the pain quickly returns. Getting back to full health is more important right now. I'm shure those expecting knives form you won't be bothered by waiting an extra couple of weeks for their special delivery's to arrive.

Thanks Guys for the well wishes, thats made me feel much more cheerful.:biggrin:
Pierre yep not good to be dosed out all the time. I had a lower discoptomy a few years ago too. Had to wait about 4 months before the operation so was on tramodol daily, I had a few sleepless nights when I stopped taking them after the op.
It's unlikely this is a disc job though, thankfully, just a case of recovering and taking measures to prevent it in the future.

I'm finally back in the shop. I know what your going through, been there. Get well soon, but for now take your time, and feel better first! Meds are ok, but I hate living in a fog...

As already mentioned good body mechanics helps.*I used to get back and neck problems. Took my big thick wallet out of my back pocket thinned it out and put it in my front pocket. That tilt really messed with my back. *On rare occasion if I get back or neck pain I do a yoga move called the cobra then I am good again for months. Also, physical therapists can really help showing you stretches. My favorite neck one is arm out straight,palm of hand on wall,lean head towards wall, then lean head away from wall works well. On rare ocassion I take ibuprofen. I don't like the fog either and so I take 800mg of ibuprofen three times a day for ten days. At that level it is an anti inflammatory. Every grocery and drug store has the 200mg tabs just take 4 tabs to hit the 800mg. Always take with food. I hope that this will be of use to people.

Get well soon! We all love looking at your work and hope to see more of it soon. However, take time to heal!
I'm REALLY looking forward to your stoned messages! :D

Lol, I might be too sedated to type. Maybe I will have some shamanic visions of the perfect kitchen cutter:IMOK:

Being 5'11" and working in kitchens I find that my lower back is always in a kink just because of the low counters. I have taken to finding anyway of making my cutting board higher up closer to my chest, than my waist. Changing heights has saved me many of painful nights.

Hope you get well soon, and you see this as a small step to better health.

...Took my big thick wallet out of my back pocket thinned it out and put it in my front pocket. That tilt really messed with my back...
+1, come to think of it. I also put my grinder on a taller table a few months ago. MUCH BETTER.

Shamanic visions... :rofl2:

Lol, I might be too sedated to type. Maybe I will have some shamanic visions of the perfect kitchen cutter:IMOK:
Lol a little Ayahuasca tea ought to do it.:biggrin:

Best of luck Will!!! Here is to hoping for a quick recovery.

That sucks! I have trouble with that stuff from time to time.

I agree you should spend some time making changes to break up the repetition.

I'll say a prayer for you man.

Thanks Guys, i'll be right. I'm feeling lovely and fuzzy at the moment, as long as I don't move too much.
Yoga a good thing for sure. I have a book, it keeps it a bay, just need to make sure I do the routine at least once a day when i'm better. And i'll have a think about some of my vice and bench heights. All my machines are a good height. My lower back went years ago from having the power hammer set too low and forging huge tapers on there single handed. I avoid doing that sort of thing these days without a gantry set up or I just design in smaller pieces with joins.
I'm thinking about a variable speed dic sander job next, I've heard they can speed up the hand finishing quite a bit.

Back