Quantcast
Offering a Limited Amount of Custom Work to Public (Handles and Sayas)
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Offering a Limited Amount of Custom Work to Public (Handles and Sayas)

Exclamation Offering a Limited Amount of Custom Work to Public (Handles and Sayas)

I decided to resume making a few custom handles each month in addition to other work I do. For now I will offer sayas in sets with handles only.

I will however, raise the cost of the service, as I no longer am a hobbyist and I carry overhead - I rent a shop space, I have equipment to maintain (and need to buy some more), and most importantly, I am shifting my time from other employments, so passion alone would not suffice, unfortunately. A lot of my work I do by hand, and I don't time myself - the end result is what matters, but it comes at a high time-cost to me.

I will offer three types of handles - octagonal, D-style and oval (like D-style with tapers on both sides of a ferrule, but without a ridge). I plan on stocking premium ironwood, stabilized premium koa, top grade cocobolo, premium grade curly maple, ebonies and some other woods. I will accept wood provided by a customer, as long as it is stabilized by a reputable source. Style of my handles will stay unchanged - as close to a classic look as possible, but I will be open to doing styles upon request, though I might have to price them differently, depending on level of complexity.

On my part, I will do my best work - custom handles with an excellent symmetry, excellent fit and finish, mortise-and-tenon construction, spacer/s, horn ferrule/end cap, clean installation, well fitted and constructed sayas, with a nice applied surface finish. Also, I will only take a few orders at a time, so a turn-around will be quick - I budgeted time for 2-3 handles per week.

Cost of the Service:

Premium Grade Handles
    Arizona Desert Ironwood
    Koa
    $210

Top Grade Handles
    Cocobolo
    Ebony
    Curly Maple (stabilized)
    $185

Handles in Wood Provided by Customer
    $175

Sayas - Price per inch of blade
    Select Grade Poplar $10/inch
    Highly Figured Maple/Walnut $14/inch
    Top Grade Ebony $30/inch
    Premium Arizona Desert Ironwood $40/inch

All sayas will come with custom-made pins (wood or horn)

Price includes return shipping, materials (wood, horn, spacers), installation and labor. During the process, I will be in touch, providing pictures so you know exactly what you are getting.

I am not including high-cost materials in the current pricing - cow horn, mokume, etc. These will be upgrades.

I will offer custom work coupons through my site shortly. I will list only few at a time, and will list new after old are completed.

I am sorry if I am pricing some of you out, but this is the only way I can offer work to public.

Thanks for your time.

Marko

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

This is what I would call a 'premium grade ironwood'

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	003.JPG 
Views:	229 
Size:	145.7 KB 
ID:	5079

Blocks retail $40-65 on average

Here is where I will source it
    http://shop.arizonaironwood.com/Iron...Blocks_c13.htm

This is a grade of Koa I have on hand

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1293987706-DSC_1418.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	31.2 KB 
ID:	5081

This is great Marko! I'm sure a the line will be long!

Engorged Member
    can you provide a link to your site for the rehandling coupon? I can't seem to find it.

Pesky

Quote Originally Posted by El Pescador View Post
    can you provide a link to your site for the rehandling coupon? I can't seem to find it.

Pesky
    Will be up later today.

Thanks!

My offer still stands Marko, except now I will be mailing you two knives and not one.

I will need to test the store, so please hold on with your orders until I post an announcement.

Thank you.

M

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    wow Marko, congratz on the move forward. I can see it being a success just because of your work and craftsmanship.

It's a limited venture to combine with handles for my knives. We are talking 10 handles a month or so.

Can I get my handle with an attached Marko blade? I have been waiting to get on the list for a long time.