Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Offering a Limited Amount of Custom Work to Public (Handles and Sayas)

Exclamation Offering a Limited Amount of Custom Work to Public (Handles and Sayas)

I decided to resume making a few custom handles each month in addition to other work I do. For now I will offer sayas in sets with handles only.

I will however, raise the cost of the service, as I no longer am a hobbyist and I carry overhead - I rent a shop space, I have equipment to maintain (and need to buy some more), and most importantly, I am shifting my time from other employments, so passion alone would not suffice, unfortunately. A lot of my work I do by hand, and I don't time myself - the end result is what matters, but it comes at a high time-cost to me.

I will offer three types of handles - octagonal, D-style and oval (like D-style with tapers on both sides of a ferrule, but without a ridge). I plan on stocking premium ironwood, stabilized premium koa, top grade cocobolo, premium grade curly maple, ebonies and some other woods. I will accept wood provided by a customer, as long as it is stabilized by a reputable source. Style of my handles will stay unchanged - as close to a classic look as possible, but I will be open to doing styles upon request, though I might have to price them differently, depending on level of complexity.

On my part, I will do my best work - custom handles with an excellent symmetry, excellent fit and finish, mortise-and-tenon construction, spacer/s, horn ferrule/end cap, clean installation, well fitted and constructed sayas, with a nice applied surface finish. Also, I will only take a few orders at a time, so a turn-around will be quick - I budgeted time for 2-3 handles per week.

Cost of the Service:

Premium Grade Handles
    Arizona Desert Ironwood
    Koa
    $210

Top Grade Handles
    Cocobolo
    Ebony
    Curly Maple (stabilized)
    $185

Handles in Wood Provided by Customer
    $175

Sayas - Price per inch of blade
    Select Grade Poplar $10/inch
    Highly Figured Maple/Walnut $14/inch
    Top Grade Ebony $30/inch
    Premium Arizona Desert Ironwood $40/inch

All sayas will come with custom-made pins (wood or horn)

Price includes return shipping, materials (wood, horn, spacers), installation and labor. During the process, I will be in touch, providing pictures so you know exactly what you are getting.

I am not including high-cost materials in the current pricing - cow horn, mokume, etc. These will be upgrades.

I will offer custom work coupons through my site shortly. I will list only few at a time, and will list new after old are completed.

I am sorry if I am pricing some of you out, but this is the only way I can offer work to public.

Thanks for your time.

Marko

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

This is what I would call a 'premium grade ironwood'

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	003.JPG 
Views:	297 
Size:	145.7 KB 
ID:	5079

Blocks retail $40-65 on average

Here is where I will source it
    http://shop.arizonaironwood.com/Iron...Blocks_c13.htm

This is a grade of Koa I have on hand

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1293987706-DSC_1418.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	31.2 KB 
ID:	5081

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

This is great Marko! I'm sure a the line will be long!

Engorged Member
    can you provide a link to your site for the rehandling coupon? I can't seem to find it.

Pesky

Quote Originally Posted by El Pescador View Post
    can you provide a link to your site for the rehandling coupon? I can't seem to find it.

Pesky
    Will be up later today.

Thanks!

My offer still stands Marko, except now I will be mailing you two knives and not one.

I will need to test the store, so please hold on with your orders until I post an announcement.

Thank you.

M

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    wow Marko, congratz on the move forward. I can see it being a success just because of your work and craftsmanship.

It's a limited venture to combine with handles for my knives. We are talking 10 handles a month or so.

Can I get my handle with an attached Marko blade? I have been waiting to get on the list for a long time.