Quantcast
Paddy's Day is coming up, anybody corning their own brisket?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Paddy's Day is coming up, anybody corning their own brisket?

Paddy's Day is coming up, anybody corning their own brisket?

March really snuck up on me. Picked up a brisket this weekend to dry cure into corned beef for Saint Patrick’s Day.

Cut the brisket into three pieces, I figured I'll make Corned Beef and cabbage for Saint Patrick’s Day, then smoke a pastrami the next weekend.

Anybody else corn their own brisket?

Here are some pics.

Recipe and more pictures here.

Nice. Thanks for the elaborate post. I will try the method. Wanted to make a deconstructed corned beef hash with domino potatoes and a poached egg. Love corned beef and cabbage. Always looking for good corned beef that isn't too chewy.

looks tasty

Nice OP!. You'll have to let us know how it turns out. I've always wanted to get a vacuum sealer to do stuff like dry aging but haven't been able to justify the cost yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Deckhand View Post
    Nice. Thanks for the elaborate post. I will try the method. Wanted to make a deconstructed corned beef hash with domino potatoes and a poached egg. Love corned beef and cabbage. Always looking for good corned beef that isn't too chewy.
    That hash sounds interesting. Are you going to put the egg over the potatoes and then the egg will be broken to make up the "sauce"?

Quote Originally Posted by UCChemE05 View Post
    Nice OP!. You'll have to let us know how it turns out. I've always wanted to get a vacuum sealer to do stuff like dry aging but haven't been able to justify the cost yet.

That hash sounds interesting. Are you going to put the egg over the potatoes and then the egg will be broken to make up the "sauce"?
    Still working it out for the plating in my mind. When I saw Domino potatoes I wanted to try this. Waiting on some fleur de sel for the Domino potatoes. I will post pics when I do it. Current first plan was potatoes on bottom, ring mold shaped corned beef, egg however it works best for presentation. Probably on top of corned beef. Yes, poached egg for sauce.
    Like anything will probably try plating different ways. A work in progress. Yet another hair brained idea for my amusement.

Last year I made some pastrami using store bought corned beef that I got on sale. It turned out pretty tasty. This year I definitely want to try doing it all from scratch, thanks for the post!

Quote Originally Posted by Deckhand View Post
    Sounds good, I have been toying with the idea of sous vide corned beef, but not sure how I would do the cabbage without the cooking liquid you usually get.

I have a couple of packer briskets in the fridge and plan on starting them this weekend. I am going with a traditional wet cure.

Great post Steve, I would definitely like to try this!