Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Paddy's Day is coming up, anybody corning their own brisket?

I like doing a dry cure, the flavor seems more intense to me than a wet cure. But it could just be my eyes playing tricks on my taste buds. The dry brined corned beef looks so much better to me before you cook it. It still has a deep red color, when I wet brine the meat looks more pink. Dry cure takes longer but it is also less of a mess and takes up less space in your refregerator. There is a link to the recipe I used in the first post of this thread with all the pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Pabloz View Post
    ...maybe better than Katz's.... LOLO

Quote Originally Posted by Chifunda View Post
    you know my restaurant for years was right around the corner from Katz's and I never went in. couldn't see eating a pound plus of pastrami in one sitting. heart burn hell. smelled great though.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by sachem allison View Post
    you know my restaurant for years was right around the corner from Katz's and I never went in. couldn't see eating a pound plus of pastrami in one sitting. heart burn hell. smelled great though.
    Yeah, a corned beef sandwich at Katz's pretty much defines excess. Especially if you slip the counter man a buck along with your ticket. Gotta have a mouth like Steven Tyler to be able to eat one.

Can you say "doggie bag"?

OK, I have talked myself into trying to make a sous vide corned beef, I read that higher water bath temps around 170 works better with corned beef (more tender). I am hoping to get away with using my multicooker set to warm for my water bath. Will do a test tonight to see what temp the cooker on warm holds at. anyone ever try this?

Did a test last night with my multicooker and the at the warm setting the water bath stayed at 165º, so I guess I am on to give this sous vide corned beef a try with one of the corned beefs this weekend as a test.

Quote Originally Posted by Deckhand View Post
    Reubens are my favorite sandwich. Nothing better than one with crispy rye bread. Nothing worse than a soggy one.
    Amen to that. I was working with the TV on the other night and the new Arby's commercial came on and the guy goes If I say freshly cut corned beef (Me without watching the screen goes "MMMMMMMMM") does that give you an involuntary urge to go MMMM

Apparently - yes it does!

A good friend of the family's corn's venison with a wet brine and told me that once I try that I may never go back to beef. I am thinking of trying the dry version from this thread and cooking it up next weekend. Penzey's is located here, so it is an easy stop on my way home.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I have my own fridge in the BBQ kitchen (only call it that when my wife cannot hear me)

Tried to find it on the web. Where did you get the bucket with the measurements on the side. Looks a little different than the one when you started the kitchen scores thread. I like them both.

any restaurant supply or smart & final in your neck of the woods.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.