Quantcast
V2 steel?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: V2 steel?

V2 steel?

But first a quick introduction of myself...26 year old pro chef, got my first japanese blade (i dont count Globals) about a year and a half ago, a TKC, but I didn't get serious about knives till six months ago when i picked up a Kono white #2. Now I can't get enough!

Anywho...like the title says...V2 steel? Whats the deal with it?

I'm really interested in a Kochi from JKI, but I have no idea what V2 is. I know Jon sells quality stuff, just curious as to how it compares to the whites/blues.

The incredibly sophisticated Boise, ID <g>
    Welcome to the forum.

Takefu V2 is equivalent to Hitachi White #2.

Rick

it's good stuff.

Engorged Member
    First, Welcome! Second, That TKC can be a great blade if it thinned and sharpened properly. I actually prefer it to the Kono that you have.

Pesky

It's more of a cross between white 2 (with more wear resistance but not as keen edge) and blue 2 (iwith less wear resistance) with some lower tolerances on S/P impurities. It should be pretty tough but not particularly wear resistant. The Kochi is an awesome cutter, albeit a little on the delicate side near the edge but well worth the trade-off, imo.

Hax the Cook CLEAVERS RULE!!!
    A barbeque believer will not profane pork by boiling, liquid-smoking, submeging in sous-vide, or affirm with those who do.

Thank you all for the welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by El Pescador View Post
    First, Welcome! Second, That TKC can be a great blade if it thinned and sharpened properly. I actually prefer it to the Kono that you have.

Pesky
    I loved the TKC for about a year, but as it wore on it lost its luster and cutting performance...it is officially retired in the junk drawer

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    It's more of a cross between white 2 (with more wear resistance but not as keen edge) and blue 2 (iwith less wear resistance) with some lower tolerances on S/P impurities. It should be pretty tough but not particularly wear resistant. The Kochi is an awesome cutter, albeit a little on the delicate side near the edge but well worth the trade-off, imo.
    hhhmmmm, sounds interesting. I'm mainly looking for something to compliment my kono...something with a little more body to it, and not quite as delicate

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Quote Originally Posted by jmfreeman35 View Post
    Thank you all for the welcome!

I loved the TKC for about a year, but as it wore on it lost its luster and cutting performance...it is officially retired in the junk drawer

hhhmmmm, sounds interesting. I'm mainly looking for something to compliment my kono...something with a little more body to it, and not quite as delicate
    Did you keep thinning your TKC behind the edge? It's pretty weird for a knife to just stop performing.

Yah, kept thinning as I went, but I guess I've just worked my way too far up the blade or something. I spent soooo many hours on that thing and even sent it back to Kikuichi and still no luck.

Thing just doesnt perform like it used to/should...