Quantcast
Old Sheffield Kitchen knives
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Old Sheffield Kitchen knives

Old Sheffield Kitchen knives

It seems hard to find much information on any of the old sheffield profiles. What were the most notable makes at the time in terms of quality of steel, grind and profile. Does anyone own any old sheffield knives which are still part of your kit? What are their characteristics. I imagine them to be fairly mighty, flat grind pretty beefy behind the edge and relatively soft. So what was the best of them, the cream of the crop at the time? I feel silly as an englishman asking you lot for info on british knives. But hey ho

Think I probably posted this in the wrong section? silly me.

Is Old Sheffield a brand or do you just mean old knives? We use a big old cleaver in work that is Gregory Fenton Sheffield for cutting bones if that helps

Cheers, any name brands handy or pics and I can have a google and see what I can find.

Will,
    I'll try to post a pic of an old Geo. Wostenholm chef kinfe I have.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

I'll take a few pics of the cleaver tomorrow. It is massive and is really really old, carbon steel

Cool, thanks Guys

I don't know about knives but Geo wostenholm made some great straight razors. Sheffield was long known for the quality of their steel back in the day, I know next to nothing about different brands but Sheffield steel was considered the best long before German steel production ramped up, In fact thiers issard from another hotbed of steel production "thiers, France" importated Sheffield steel to make their razors. As you can tell my knowledge comes from a straight razor point of view but I do believe especially in sheffield many of the razor makers of the day were also involved in knife production.

Back in the day being around 1800. The Germans pushed past the English by the end of the century thanks to the Siemens process. Sheffield really describes a region much like Soligen or Essen.

-AJ

you would be surprised at how thin and agile some of those early sheffields really are not soft as you think, Rogers and Son's, Gregory Bros., Pyramid, Latham & Owen, Wilson, Askham and Dickinson to name a few. There was a reason why Sheffield knife makers had the reputation they did.
    Attached Images Attached Images                     
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.