Quantcast
Cleaning with detergent
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Cleaning with detergent

  1. #1

    Cleaning with detergent

    Hello all, happy new Boardsmith owner here.


    I just want to make sure I'm reading something correctly. On the FAQ page (http://theboardsmith.com/purchase.htm) when it says to wash with dishwashing detergent, we are referring to something like cascade, the stuff I'd put into my dishwasher, correct? I ask, because I always wash my current cutting board with a dish soap like Dawn. And there is an obvious difference between the two products.

    Thanks for the help and clarification guys & gals, just didn't want to put anything too aggressive on my new board.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Johnny.B.Good's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    2,952
    Good question. "Detergent" means the little crystals to me (as opposed to dishwashing liquid or soap), but who knows. I need an answer too, as UPS tells me there is a Boardsmith board waiting on my doorstep as we speak!

  3. #3
    Senior Member Crothcipt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Posts
    3,494
    Dawn is a detergent, "liquid detergent" is what they use for the classification. don't use cascade it is to harsh for hand washing. If I remember right you don't put in dishwasher either. But I haven't read the do's and don'ts with his boards.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Deckhand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Costa Mesa California
    Posts
    1,735
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny.B.Good View Post
    Good question. "Detergent" means the little crystals to me (as opposed to dishwashing liquid or soap), but who knows. I need an answer too, as UPS tells me there is a Boardsmith board waiting on my doorstep as we speak!
    congratulations! Still waiting on mine. Good things come in the big brown truck.
    I will use Dawn unless someone gives good advice otherwise.

  5. #5
    Don't put cascade on it. It's made for machines, and won't clean off the same. You'll be smelling Cascade for a while.

    I use a few drops of hand-dish-washing detergent (like Dawn, but I buy the one with the Earth on the front), and a drop of my wife's favorite essential oil blend(for nice smells and mild anti-bacterial properties). I keep it in a spray bottle, and spritz it down when I am done using it, and wipe it dry. If I get meat or something on it for a while(like cutting up BBQ and then leaving it on there while we feast), I cover it in layer of salt overnight.



    Also, DO NOT put your cutting board in the dishwasher. Not any kind of cutting board. It will destroy your Boardsmith, and most other wooden boards, but even a plastic one won't get very clean in a dishwasher(they are made to spray into cups and bowls, not knife gouges).

  6. #6
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I certainly wasn't going to put it into the dishwasher.

    I've had this routine though for years with my current cutting board (16 x 12 x 1/2") where I'd just carry it to the sink and wash it with soap and water after every time I used it. It's not going to be that easy I don't think with my new 16 x 22 that's on the way (when I said above I was a proud new owner I too meant that it was ordered but not yet received). So I assume with these bigger boards it'll be more of a soapy scrub and then wipe it clean, in place. Not a carried trip to the sink.


    Does anyone do a bleach solution for sanitizing? Or just mainly soap and water.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Deckhand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Costa Mesa California
    Posts
    1,735
    Quote Originally Posted by racineboxer View Post
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I certainly wasn't going to put it into the dishwasher.

    I've had this routine though for years with my current cutting board (16 x 12 x 1/2") where I'd just carry it to the sink and wash it with soap and water after every time I used it. It's not going to be that easy I don't think with my new 16 x 22 that's on the way (when I said above I was a proud new owner I too meant that it was ordered but not yet received). So I assume with these bigger boards it'll be more of a soapy scrub and then wipe it clean, in place. Not a carried trip to the sink.


    Does anyone do a bleach solution for sanitizing? Or just mainly soap and water.
    Copy paste from Boardsmith FAQ page

    How do I sanitize the board? - After each use, wash with a quality dishwashing detergent and warm water. Wet the surface, apply the detergent and wash. Rinse thououghly. (Do no leave hot water running over the surface for an extended period of time!) A solution of 1 tablespoon of Clorox to one quart of water is sufficient to sanitize. Spray on, let it sit and then rinse. Or, mix a 1 : 1 ratio of vinegar and water. Spray on, let it sit and then rinse. Or, coat the surface with salt overnight. The salt will absorb the moisture and kill the bacteria.

  8. #8
    Senior Member

    SpikeC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    3,733
    I treat my cutting boards like my hands.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

  9. #9
    Senior Member Johnny.B.Good's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    2,952
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckhand View Post
    congratulations! Still waiting on mine. Good things come in the big brown truck.
    Big brown box waiting on my doorstep when I got home.

    Black walnut, 14" x 20". It's ridiculous. Even better than I had hoped.

    I will break out a camera and take a few pictures in the next day or two.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Deckhand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Costa Mesa California
    Posts
    1,735
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny.B.Good View Post
    Big brown box waiting on my doorstep when I got home.

    Black walnut, 14" x 20". It's ridiculous. Even better than I had hoped.

    I will break out a camera and take a few pictures in the next day or two.
    Awesome!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •