Cleaning with detergent

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

racineboxer

Reaction score
Hello all, happy new Boardsmith owner here.

I just want to make sure I'm reading something correctly. On the FAQ page (http://theboardsmith.com/purchase.htm) when it says to wash with dishwashing detergent, we are referring to something like cascade, the stuff I'd put into my dishwasher, correct? I ask, because I always wash my current cutting board with a dish soap like Dawn. And there is an obvious difference between the two products.

Thanks for the help and clarification guys & gals, just didn't want to put anything too aggressive on my new board.

Good question. "Detergent" means the little crystals to me (as opposed to dishwashing liquid or soap), but who knows. I need an answer too, as UPS tells me there is a Boardsmith board waiting on my doorstep as we speak!

Dawn is a detergent, "liquid detergent" is what they use for the classification. don't use cascade it is to harsh for hand washing. If I remember right you don't put in dishwasher either. But I haven't read the do's and don'ts with his boards.

Good question. "Detergent" means the little crystals to me (as opposed to dishwashing liquid or soap), but who knows. I need an answer too, as UPS tells me there is a Boardsmith board waiting on my doorstep as we speak!

congratulations! Still waiting on mine. Good things come in the big brown truck.
I will use Dawn unless someone gives good advice otherwise.

Don't put cascade on it. It's made for machines, and won't clean off the same. You'll be smelling Cascade for a while.

I use a few drops of hand-dish-washing detergent (like Dawn, but I buy the one with the Earth on the front), and a drop of my wife's favorite essential oil blend(for nice smells and mild anti-bacterial properties). I keep it in a spray bottle, and spritz it down when I am done using it, and wipe it dry. If I get meat or something on it for a while(like cutting up BBQ and then leaving it on there while we feast), I cover it in layer of salt overnight.

Also, DO NOT put your cutting board in the dishwasher. Not any kind of cutting board. It will destroy your Boardsmith, and most other wooden boards, but even a plastic one won't get very clean in a dishwasher(they are made to spray into cups and bowls, not knife gouges).

Thanks for the replies everyone. I certainly wasn't going to put it into the dishwasher.

I've had this routine though for years with my current cutting board (16 x 12 x 1/2") where I'd just carry it to the sink and wash it with soap and water after every time I used it. It's not going to be that easy I don't think with my new 16 x 22 that's on the way (when I said above I was a proud new owner I too meant that it was ordered but not yet received). So I assume with these bigger boards it'll be more of a soapy scrub and then wipe it clean, in place. Not a carried trip to the sink.

Does anyone do a bleach solution for sanitizing? Or just mainly soap and water.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I certainly wasn't going to put it into the dishwasher.

I've had this routine though for years with my current cutting board (16 x 12 x 1/2") where I'd just carry it to the sink and wash it with soap and water after every time I used it. It's not going to be that easy I don't think with my new 16 x 22 that's on the way (when I said above I was a proud new owner I too meant that it was ordered but not yet received). So I assume with these bigger boards it'll be more of a soapy scrub and then wipe it clean, in place. Not a carried trip to the sink.

Does anyone do a bleach solution for sanitizing? Or just mainly soap and water.

Copy paste from Boardsmith FAQ page

How do I sanitize the board? - After each use, wash with a quality dishwashing detergent and warm water. Wet the surface, apply the detergent and wash. Rinse thououghly. (Do no leave hot water running over the surface for an extended period of time!) A solution of 1 tablespoon of Clorox to one quart of water is sufficient to sanitize. Spray on, let it sit and then rinse. Or, mix a 1 : 1 ratio of vinegar and water. Spray on, let it sit and then rinse. Or, coat the surface with salt overnight. The salt will absorb the moisture and kill the bacteria.

I treat my cutting boards like my hands.

congratulations! Still waiting on mine. Good things come in the big brown truck.

Big brown box waiting on my doorstep when I got home.

Black walnut, 14" x 20". It's ridiculous. Even better than I had hoped.

I will break out a camera and take a few pictures in the next day or two.

Big brown box waiting on my doorstep when I got home.

Black walnut, 14" x 20". It's ridiculous. Even better than I had hoped.

I will break out a camera and take a few pictures in the next day or two.

Awesome!!!

Does everyone pretty much wash/wipe down there boards in place on the counter? How many, or how often, does it get taken over to the sink?

I wash my boards in the sink. If I just cut veggies only, then I just rinse it. Otherwise, I'll use liquid detergent and a soft sponge. Then every once in a while I'll oil the boards because the detergent strips away the oil & moisture in the wood.

Detergent means something like Dawn or Joy. A little warm water then scrub with the liquid detergent then a good rinse. DO NOT leave the board in a sink with hot water running over the surface for an extended period of time. It has happened and will warp a board. Spraying with a Clorox/water mixture or vinegar/water mixture will help to sanitize a board between washings. Coating with salt overnight will sanitize and dry out a board. Be sure to oil after removing the salt.

Just remember, doing something is much better than doing nothing.

Latest posts

Back