New knife idea.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Davis

Reaction score
I want to make a 300-330mm sword tip yanagi. True to the history of sword making, i want to do a yokote ground kissaki, a tsuka maki wrapped handle(epoxy soaked), menuki, fuchi, habaki and kashira. What is the feasibilty of anyone being interested in something like this? I plan on smelting the shibuichi to make all of the parts out of and will do the blade in a 33 layer single side damascus on a W2 core.
Sorry for the crappy drawing, i am sick and sitting at home trying to think of cool stuff to do.
2012-03-05_21-40-10_569.jpg

Is this a stupid idea?

Well, that oughta keep you busy for a couple of days!

Only takes one buyer for it to not be a stupid idea :groucho:

I think it would be a cool project. Have you tackled many yanagis yet, and gotten feedback on grind, thickness, etc?

Please post a WIP!

I have one yanagi is service at the local sushi place, and have gotten pretty good feedback so far. I will be happy if i actually get it back lol.

If I did not have my Shigefusa I would be interested but two yanagis is overkill for anyone that prepares sushi maybe once a month. I would worry about something like that becoming more of a display item then a knife that is actually used. I'm not sure if it matters to you but if I were making knives I would want them to be used like the tool they are. I do hope you go ahead with it though because I know everyone here would love to see the WIP.

This is an idea that has been bouncing around in my head for quite some time. I have a few other projects that i need to get finished first, but this one will happen. It might be a display piece, but i just really want to do it lol. I will do a full WIP on it when it starts.

Nice. Man, I need to make a sword too. Sheesh, you get to have all the fun :)

-M

Yeah, Michael, when are you gonna make a sword?? :lol2:

Keep in mind, that this is indeed a sword, and not a kitchen knife. It's certainly not a Yanagi, because it's not remotely willow-leaf shaped. But the main thing is that its a trailing point, and that is totally useless in a kitchen.

That's not to say you can't use a sword in a kitchen.

My brother would love this, but then he collects Japanese swords.

That looks bad ass. What would it be for big fish? or cornering customers who try to sneak off without paying,:viking: I've not done much water quench will you get the curve from the quench to that degree?

Just make sure that it fits in your HT oven. I have had a partially ground W2 wakizashi sitting around for 2 years for that very reason.

I know next to nothing about this type of knife and have no need or particular desire to own one (fish is rarely on the menu for me), but it looks like a fun project and I would enjoy seeing it come to life. A true kitchen sword!

Looks like another Samari Delicatessen knife.
[video=youtube_share;eo0xPNiwyz8]http://youtu.be/eo0xPNiwyz8[/video]

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Now you know my dumb ass will be tossing tomatoes and chopping them like that...

Latest posts

Back