Quantcast
PC system restore question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PC system restore question

PC system restore question

Here's the thing: One of my email subfolders in MS Outlook disappeared - most likely user error, of course. I vaguely remember deleting folders a few days ago and must have accidentally included the wrong one. So, if I restore the system to a previous state, will that include Outlook data of that date or only the system settings? I am usually pretty good with backups of my work files but not sure when I included the outlook file the last time.... And if I find the backup file, I would have task how can restore a single folder from the file.

Thanks,

Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    Here's the thing: One of my email subfolders in MS Outlook disappeared - most likely user error, of course. I vaguely remember deleting folders a few days ago and must have accidentally included the wrong one. So, if I restore the system to a previous state, will that include Outlook data of that date or only the system settings? I am usually pretty good with backups of my work files but not sure when I included the outlook file the last time.... And if I find the backup file, I would have task how can restore a single folder from the file.

Thanks,

Stefan
    The Windows "system restore" function only takes "snapshots" of critical system files and some program files and registry settings and stores this information as restore points.

Unfortunately, it does NOT backup personal files, such as e-mail, documents, or photos.

That's what I thought, thanks. The lost folder has my old emails archived, back to 1999. I am sure I have a backup somewhere, worst case scenario is that I lost a few months of emails from last year.

Stefan

see if you can locate the pst file that they are saved in and check to see if windows has made a shadow copy of the file (only applies to windows vista or later)

Problem solved. It turns out, I hadn't deleted the folder but somehow moved it into a another subfolder - no idea how I managed to do that. Time to run a complete backup... Thanks again,

Stefan

Hooking up an external hard drive to your computer can save a lot of grief. Usually email can be accessed by going to your yahoo,gmail, etc. account online directly. Glad it worked out.

Hope it wasn't the "standing orders" folder. If it was, just on the off chance, I had a presentation-grade Ironwood handle with a cocobolo ferrule and copper fittings with a mokume buttcap. I paid you way back when.

Quote Originally Posted by BurkeCutlery View Post
    Hope it wasn't the "standing orders" folder. If it was, just on the off chance, I had a presentation-grade Ironwood handle with a cocobolo ferrule and copper fittings with a mokume buttcap. I paid you way back when.
    Your handle is almost finished, Eamon. Aeh.... not. Sounds like a nice combo, though, may come out a bit on the heavy side...

Stefan

Spokane, WA aka Spokanistan, or Spoklahoma, or...
    BUY A MAC

Quote Originally Posted by quantumcloud509 View Post
    BUY A MAC
    Blah! Just switch to linux.