Selling knife on B/S/T here on KF - question

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oivind_dahle

Banned
Reaction score
Hi

If you had to sell a knife or two on this forum how to you calculate the price?
Price at a site - 20% ? (if site is cheapest site for that knife)?

I would take the retail price and then subtract 10-20% depending of how much battle scars etc the knife has(even more if it's in "bad" shape) then specify that shipping costs will be added.

I think you should price it at 90% off :) I'll be first in line! :)

In all seriousness if its in great condition, few scratches, good edge then 10-20 is all you need to take off.

Only other thing to consider which some people do some people don't, is if the price spiked after you bought it, are you looking to make money or recoup costs! Either way works for me as no matter what I'll end up saving rather than buying new!

Øivind,

If it is a current production knife, then 80% of new is a fair price. You see knives at 90-95% of new price just sit, unsold, until the price is reduced. Then again, you can always come down in price if you don't get a buyer.

It it is a custom, a knife out of production, or one that is hard to get, then, as on a restaurant menu, it's "market price". Your DT ITK with the Marko saya and handle is "one-of-a-kind" and would be priced accordingly.

Shipping cost needs to be considered if the buyer is international, so you'd need to be upfront in the posting about "actual shipping charges" to be added.

Lastly, it depends on how quickly you want (or need) to sell the knife.

Hope this helps,

Rick

So, Oivind - your 57 customs are starting to roll in and you need to make some room? With your collection, you could just start up a knife store and give Maksim and Jon some competition.:doublethumbsup:

I have no customs, nor do I have lots of knives :)
I just have humble knives for the common man :)

Thanks for helping out. I need to sell knives to fund a new knife.
Ill let you know what I might do :)

Bill Burke and Devin Thomas is more than just knivemakers for me, their more like legends.
I would be proud to own a custom by them one day :)

Anyway
I just sold Kanetsune 210 Deba and 270 Yanagiba to a close friend. Both mint condition and with saya. I sold them for 600 USD and I hope that was an ok price for them both. It was this Kanetsune series: http://www.chefsarmoury.com/images/uploads/Kanetsune/270mm Yanagi(1).jpg

Good advice above on pricing. Some things that bug me when people sell stuff on forums (not necessarily here):

1. "I just want to get back what I paid for it."
If you used it for 2 years or 2 weeks or 2 days, it's not new. It's more used than when you got it. Why should you get back what you paid for it? Unless it's some sort of unobtanium.

2. "I only accept PayPal, add 3% (or 3.5%, 3.7%, etc.)."
Like it or not, PayPal has become part of the cost of doing business on the web, just like Visa or MasterCard at Macy's. Build it into the price of your knife; don't ask me to pay for making it easier for you to get money. Offer a 3.5% discount for money orders, rather than a 3.5% premium for PayPal.

3. "Please use PayPal gift option."
This is against PayPal's TOS and can get your account banned. Some forums (badgerandblade.com, for example) expressly prohibit sellers from demanding gift payments.

</rant>

Back