Quantcast
Removing patina help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing patina help

Removing patina help

So I have a knife of a friends that has a patina on it,

I got some flitz and used a steel wool to remove it. Most is gone however some is still left. Outlines of it. Any idea on how to get the rest gone?

Auto buffing compound will do it.
    If you reach the age of 60 without becoming a curmudgeon, you haven't been paying attention.

ok do i need to use anything other than a rag? i have 2k sandpaper was thinking about using that on it to remove as well?

Flitz should work pretty well. 2K paper will introduce scratch marks and shiny spots.

Mario and Salty would be better references, they are patinaphobes.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Hopefully salty will chime in, this is an older knife he wants to try to make a design with his so he wants to remove the older patina first.

The flitz took most of it off but there are still stains on it. trying to figure out how to remove those as well.

@ marko- I sharpened and made some videos today of the 210 will try to upload them as well as write a review in the next couple days.

If patina has been formed over years, Flitz won't remove it, so you would need to use some abrasives. 2K is too fine to do the job.

M

PS: thanks!

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Ok sounds like i gotta do some work on it then i have other grits as well, won't have time this week but il get around to it thanks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    If patina has been formed over years, Flitz won't remove it, so you would need to use some abrasives. 2K is too fine to do the job.

M

A very fine or super fine Scotchbrite belt on a belt grinder will remove all traces of patina that aren't actually pitted.

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    Flitz should work pretty well. 2K paper will introduce scratch marks and shiny spots.

Mario and Salty would be better references, they are patinaphobes.

M

WOW........I just got called a Patina Baby!!