Which Sujihiki?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmfreeman35

Reaction score
So, I'm sitting at my computer ready to purchase a 240mm suji, but one little problem....I CANT DECIDE WHICH ONE TO GET!

I have narrowed it down to two (i think); the masamoto KS and the Ikkanshi Tadatsuna INOX

Now, I'm leaning towards the KS because i love white #2, its a little cheaper, and I simply think it looks cooler. One down side is that the blade height looks a little on the short side. Anyone know what the actual height is?

I've heard nothing but fantastic things about tadastsuna, so yah. Definitely curious

I already have a 270mm kono suji, so I'm mainly looking to pick up a 240 to use on the line and for smaller prep task, Im really starting to like a suji as a all purpose knife

-Jamey

Funny, I've used an 8-ish inch (European) slicer as an all-purpose for years and years. I'm finding the taller profile of the Masa KS gyuto much better for guiding the (thin, light and long) blade properly through most tasks. I'm getting used to it much quicker than I expected; the first couple of times I found myself choking up on the blade, using the European grip with which I'm more familiar. I now naturally grab the wa handle in a light pinch, though I still consciously look where my index lands.

The IT line boasts great fit and finish. The steel is very nice. They are both on the flexible and light side with the IT being a little more flexibly toward the handle, if that matters to you. I like carbon for sujis but I think the KS series has a bit of variability. You could get something REALLY nice or it could just be pretty good.

I don't know what your budget is, but there is a guy in Canada making some pretty sweet suji's. It might be worth the effort to shoot him a pm and inquire.

I did end up ordering the IT yesterday. With it being such a thin and light knife I am a little concerned with how flexible it will be as I find my kono a little more flexible than I would like...guess I will find out if the flexibility is a problem for me or not in a couple of days.

I do to prefer carbon, but with all the good things i've heard about the INOX from IT and suisin I thought it would be nice to try out that steel. And im very much looking forward to it!

Whats the name of the guy in Canada?

Although i ended up ordering the IT, im always interested in learning about something new

Pierre Rodrigue, he is a vendor here as well, check out his sub forum in the vendor section.

I have heard very good things about his stuff. I haven't talked to him about prices, but I imagine they are a out of my price range :(

I also looked into Carter, and oh man do I wish I could afford one of those...

I have the Ikkanshi Inox. Awesome blade but I'm a big fan of the Masamoto KS as well. Hard to make a poor choice between those two.

Dave

I love Rodrigue and Carter knives (own some of both) and I'd choose a Rodrigue any day of the week. Performance is basically the same (in my experience) and Pierre puts forth more effort and style into his knives. The craftsmanship is mind-blowing, really. If you get one, you won't be disappointed.
The IT looks nice too ;)

I'm a big Masamoto KS fan, but I really couldn't bond with their suji. For me, it was too light, too short in height, and too flexible. Now, I know that to some, that's a perfect suji, but I really wasn't looking for that. Can't go wrong with a Tadatsuna.

Those were my concerns with the KS while looking at it...how short and flexible it would be. Sounds like my concerns were right on track.

Well, I came home from work tonight to find my IT waiting for me. Immediately ripped open the box, and I gotta say, so far I'm very impressed and can't wait to try it out at work tomorrow...Weight is perfect, blade height is perfect and, fit and finish is spectacular, and it doesn't seem like flexibility will be a problem.

So, so far I'm very pleased I went with the IT

[amateur home cook] I would think shorter profile height and thinner geometry would make for a better slicer, but a less-good all-purpose knife, no? [/amateur home cook]

[amateur home cook] I would think shorter profile height and thinner geometry would make for a better slicer, but a less-good all-purpose knife, no? [/amateur home cook]

Like I said, probably, yes. I didn't want a dedicated slicer. Mine was to be used on the line for all tasks. As is the OP I believe.

That's true up to a point; you want some knuckle clearance and stiffness in a slicer. I do at least.

Like I said, probably, yes. I didn't want a dedicated slicer. Mine was to be used on the line for all tasks. As is the OP I believe.

That's true up to a point; you want some knuckle clearance and stiffness in a slicer. I do at least.

Agree with both of these...and so far the IT was the perfect choice. Its a fantastic cutter, super thin, yet has good stiffness and a good amount of knuckle clearance

All in all, id say I have a new favorite knife ;)

what you think about Sujihiki guys ,
which one is better: Suisin Inox or Ashi Ginga ?

looking for good SS Suji now

maybe anyone already use the Ashi Ginga Suji ?
plsease tell me whats your opinion ?

prefer knife need to rolls cutting.

Back