Quantcast
Going sub zero! Stepping up my game :)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Going sub zero! Stepping up my game :)

Lightbulb Going sub zero! Stepping up my game :)

Hello and good day, I have been planning on adding "cryo" Liquid nitrogen quench to my Heat Treat line up.. With the addition of stainless steel to my line up. I want to be able to offer you guys the best possible RC and toughness. As well as edge retention and variety of blade steels. I will soon be offering a new damascus combination, of O1 an L-6. Which will be Cryo quenched.. This new combination will make a much better kitchen blade and a more notable difference when cryo treated then the HC steel mix we am currently making.
    This new damascus combination will be a option for those of you with current order on the books. To change from the Carbon damascus to the new mix of cryo treated O1 and L-6 damascus..

Based off my limited experiance with this treatment. I bielieve it will only add a point to the RC to my current carbon mix, and will add even more to the new damascus mix, and huge benefits for most stainless steels. With a notable gain toughness as well as additional hardness and edge retention.

I have spent some time researching this and found a couple of great options for my new cryo tank. As well as tons of info on the subject on line. I talked to another knife maker that I have much respect for, He was very kind and open, sharing some important info with me so I make a informed purchase on the storage tank. He is currently doing cryo and has done much testing on many of the steel, new and old and the results of cryo treated steel. I gained more info from 1 phone call then I did searching the internet for hours reading on the forums. So I need to say THANKS!!!! you know who you are. I appreciate your time and advise. This is gona be fun!!

This is a obsession, As most of you know. Proper Heat Treating is just as important as the steel type.. So as a maker, I am always trying to refine my process and testing.. and learning.. There is room for improvement, and I intend to find it. This is the next step in my evolution. I know there are some here that have much more experience with this, and I welcome your comments and hope to learn as much as possible about this process B4 the new Dewar arrives.. Im just opening the door on the subject and starting to learn.. So please share your experience.

Ill keep you guys posted as I move forward with this and get the tank etc.
    Thanks
    Randy

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

HHH Custom Knives T Shirts.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Like a chef always wanting to strive for perfection, and best product. Can't wait for the wip's out of this one.

Awesome Randy...Just tell Jr. to not put in his marshmallows

Sounds like fun!

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

UPDATE!

OK so I have been dragging my feet on this for the last few months. But finally did it! The LN tank is on its way to me and Im jazzed!

Selecting the right tank turned out to be the easy part. The hard part was finding it at a good price! The price for a new tank was WAY out of my reach. So the search continued. Ebay and Craigs list, all the forums etc.etc. I finally found my tank.. A used 34L tank with a neck tube opening of over 3.5" For the TALL blades!!! Alot of the LN tanks have a small opening, like 2" and thats just not wide enough.

Thanks to EVERYONE who gave me some help and advise, I hope to one day be able to return the favor or share or help someone else by passing along the same advise and info!

God Bless
    Randy

P.S. I have gathered a BUNCH of different stainless steels over the last few months. Also a RC tester. So Let the experimenting begin!

I'm guessing your advisor might be Mr Hoss? DT?

Marko might be a good source for LN HT hints.
    Please visit my store at www.dreamburls.com Imagine the possibilities!
    Email me at service@dreamburls.com
    Visit our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/dream.burls
    All sales are backed with a no questions asked money back guarantee.

I would be honored to take any help or advice from either of these fine gentlemen named above. But Its not either of them.. Mr Thomas holds his HT info/secrets close to his chest. I dont blame him. Again understandably! Marko has not chimed in yet to offer any help or advise. But Im sure I could gain much from his experiences as well.

Mainly, I am anxious to start running some tests and to learn the new steels and what they have to offer! I have selected a couple of steels that I think will be a good starting point.. Its very exciting! Honestly, I like this part of the journey as a maker. Like many things, If it was to easy, or I didnt have to work for it. I wouldn't appreciate it as much. I have said it before and will say it again. The journey is often the best part of the process. That said, I am always happy to get help or advise and appreciate it when someone takes the time to help guide me. So I dont fall in the same hole they have already encountered. Wasting time and energy or money.. For that, I am very grateful!!

its so much fun to tweek HT for the stel and use. im sure you will have alot of fun with it

Thanks Butch. I am already havin a blast! Good to hear from ya!

+ Reply to Thread