Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Big Green Egg

You can disperse the wood chunks throughout the charcoal before lighting so chunks will burn as the fire spreads. I actually prefer lighting wood chunks with my charcoal when I start. That way, I get a solid smoke ring right from the start.

Here are a couple of tricks I use for longer burns. First, I use my wet dry vac to clean out ashes after any long burn. That way, I have a consistent cook and cooker - no unburnt pieces from the previous cook to catch fire, no airways are blocked, no mid-cook issues with too much ash. Second, there's no need to go up to 750 to burn off drippings. I had my XL BGE up to 450 two weekends ago to burn off mold and other stuff from not using it during the winter. About 2 hours at 450 did the trick. Third, like Dave recommended, use larger chunks of charcoal for long cooks. The cooking temp will be lower than using smaller chunks of charcoal (there's less surface area to catch fire, especially when lighting the BGE like Dave recommended in a number of areas, and at a low temp, the larger pieces will take that much longer to light up completely). Fourth, gradually get up to temp; don't go too high and bring it down. You'll use more fuel the higher you want to go - if you start low, and keep the fire going slowly along, you won't use much fuel. There's really no reason why you can't do an all night cook with a full firebox if you start with a low temp, around 200, and keep it there.

Lastly, if you have any concern about not having enough fuel to get through a cook, take whatever you're cooking out of the fridge early. It's amazing how long the center of a pork butt will stay cold after you pull it out of the fridge.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    All great info, thanks!
    Jason

Jason you know were gonna show up for beer and ribs right!

Dave

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    BTW, I bought a BBQ Guru PartQ. With your recommendations, in addition to this, I hope I get better.

Not to say what I've made so far hasn't been good...
    Jason

Anyone know a reputable dealer in southern California anywhere from San Diego to Los Angeles. The reviews I am reading on businesses by me in Costa Mesa have very poor customer service. I know I can get a deal at an egg fest, but more concerned with buying from someone who will give good customer service after the investment. Any opinions. Thanks in advance.

you question is better asked here http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php...d=1&showdays=2
    i live on the east coast but this place has a good reputation http://eggsbythebay.com/

That place looks eggsceptional. Thought some of the southern cal guys might respond. I will keep that place in mind. I drove farther than that to buy my dog. : ) thanks for your response.

Deckhand:

I started my ceramic jouney probably 15 years ago with a Kamado, and unfortunately some of the issues that bothered me then about So Cal retailers haven't changed, so my advice would be find the lowest price closest to you. Not sure what you're looking for in customer service, but what you're buying is a massive hunk of concrete...more or less. The best 'customer service' you'll get on these will come from the community on the BGE forum. Try to find a 'no sales tax' or Memorial day sale, and talk them into free delivery & set up - you'll come out ahead. Really, most retailers want to sell you a gas fired stainless something or other and think your ribs should be boiled first.

I purchased a once used XL BGE at the Southern California Eggfest last year. It's worked for me great so far.

The company that sponsors it is here: http://outdoorkitchencreations.net/

Unfortunately, they already sold out of the once used eggs for this year's Eggfest. However, these people are really great. Great service, answer all questions, etc. If you go to the Eggfest, they'll probably have a regional representative there to answer any more questions.

However, as I've explained before, I don't think the BGE platesetter is great in my experience. Maybe it's how I"m using it, but I don't feel that I get enough circulation or smoke when I use it. I'm seriously considering buying the indirect setup from this company: http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/

Feel free to message me if you have any questions.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Quote Originally Posted by mhlee View Post
    I purchased a once used XL BGE at the Southern California Eggfest last year. It's worked for me great so far.

The company that sponsors it is here: http://outdoorkitchencreations.net/

Unfortunately, they already sold out of the once used eggs for this year's Eggfest. However, these people are really great. Great service, answer all questions, etc. If you go to the Eggfest, they'll probably have a regional representative there to answer any more questions.

However, as I've explained before, I don't think the BGE platesetter is great in my experience. Maybe it's how I"m using it, but I don't feel that I get enough circulation or smoke when I use it. I'm seriously considering buying the indirect setup from this company: http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/

Feel free to message me if you have any questions.
    Excellent! Exactly, what I needed. A BBQ store where they didn't behave like total #%&$! It's a personal thing, restaurant, gas station, any business if service and general consideration is poor don't like to spend my money there. Support the good guys. Read a bunch of reviews on places. Where people spent thousands and were treated like dirt. This place looks great! Thanks for the plate setter tips.