Quantcast
Big Green Egg - Page 5
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Green Egg

Very nice indeed. How much did it set you back with the stand?

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    Set me back, with tax around $1K. They threw in a free ash collector
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by AFKitchenknivesguy View Post
    They ran out of the plate setter for large, supposedly getting it in again in a couple of days. That, and a round pizza stone are my buys. A buddy of mine owes me a favor, I might ask him to make me a wooden table fitted for the BGE with casters.
    Watch out for thin stones from big box stores, they're made for your oven and tend to crack at higher temperatures. The BGE stone is expensive but very thick. However, if you keep your plate setter clean you can just cook pizza on that instead of buying a separate pizza stone.

Congratulations on your egg.

Quote Originally Posted by AFKitchenknivesguy View Post
    That was a ***** getting it out of my truck and into the nest. Nuckin futs I am.
    Wow you didn't move it put together did you? If so that must have been a beeech. They are not that bad to move at all when you take the top off. I'd hate to move one put together for fear of the lid bouncing and cracking. I also use the RO lump from Wally World.

Dave

Nice buy!

Although I haven't bought from them, ceramic grill store has accessories that seem to be better than the BGE accessories. One thing I have not liked about my platesetter is the fact that it seems to restrict smoke flow because the arms are so thick.

I probably would not have bought the BGE XL platesetter had I found that website first. It's worth a look.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Dave,

ACE hardware put it together for me, which they encourage to make sure all the pieces are there and to fix any problems on the spot. I strapped it in with tie downs in my pick-up bed, out of the next. I am a pretty strong guy, but the weight combined with the awkwardness of the egg was the hard part. It was fully put together when I moved it. Good times.
    Jason

So, what will be maiden cook on the BGE?

Most owners and dealers recommend doing a low to medium cook to break in an egg.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

I am thinking about some dry rubbed chicken thighs and legs, and a pork tenderloin. I really need that plate setter, it's limiting my options
    Jason

My brother and I use our Egg all the time. He turned me onto Ono Hawaiian charcoal which I think burns cleaner, hotter and lasts longer. It's the best cooker/smoker that I've ever used - have fun!! P.S. - there are lots of recipes on line for whatever you want to cook.