Quantcast
Big Green Egg
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Green Egg

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar

Big Green Egg

Always have wanted one, have looked at other Kamado grills like Primo as well. What do you all think? Ace Hardware here as the x-large priced at $1229.00. Might have to sell some knives to afford that now.
    Jason

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    I'm sure if you plan a trip to Denver and look in some mid-easter, Indian market you can find one for a couple hundred bucks. It will probably be bigger and you won't break the bank. (it has been about 10 years since I have been to Denver so not sure if there is one there.) More likely Buolder.

My BGE is my pride and joy. I like to say that I'd give up the roof over my head and push my BGE around in a shopping cart before I gave it up. Get it, you won't regret it.

For $1229 does it include the nest (rolling cart) or any other accessories? I don't think that's a good deal for just the XL Egg by itself, but I haven't priced out an XL in a while.

Also, how many people do you think you'll cook for? I get along just fine with my Large Egg. The XL is very spacious, but it's also consumes more fuel and is more difficult to heat up to high temps for steaks and pizza. It also makes it difficult to justify firiing it up on a weeknight for steaks for just you and one other person. I typically advocate getting the biggest cooker you can afford, but if you don't have a big family I'd consider going with the Large.

As for Primo vs BGE, it doesn't really matter. They're both well built and perform the same, just go ahead and pick whatever you can get a better deal on or with the one that fits your backyard decor better.

Engorged Member
    BGE-worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    My BGE is my pride and joy. I like to say that I'd give up the roof over my head and push my BGE around in a shopping cart before I gave it up. Get it, you won't regret it.

For $1229 does it include the nest (rolling cart) or any other accessories? I don't think that's a good deal for just the XL Egg by itself, but I haven't priced out an XL in a while.

Also, how many people do you think you'll cook for? I get along just fine with my Large Egg. The XL is very spacious, but it's also consumes more fuel and is more difficult to heat up to high temps for steaks and pizza. It also makes it difficult to justify firiing it up on a weeknight for steaks for just you and one other person. I typically advocate getting the biggest cooker you can afford, but if you don't have a big family I'd consider going with the Large.
    +1

I have an XL. I got it once used at the SoCal Eggfest. It's been great for long cooks like brisket, pork butts, etc. However, like Kyle noted, it takes a LOT of fuel and time to get it up to temp.

I don't regret getting it, but if you're looking for one to use weekly (or even more often), I would have to recommend getting a Large. In fact, I'm considering getting a Large myself because the XL is really best for large groups of people, cooking multiple batches, or long cooks.

I would look for Eggfests in Colorado. Most will sell once used BGEs at a great discount. All you usually have to do is prepay, and pick up at the end of the Eggfest.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

I have a large BGE and have had it for about 8 years now. Best investment in a grill/smoker/oven I could have imagined. As said before, the XL is really big. I routinely cook for 4-6 and have never needed more than the large. There are also some pretty nice aftermarket accessories that add the ability to have multiple grill racks at different heights. I use mine year round and the ceramic is great for use in cold or hot weather. I have done ~20lbs of pork butt on it at a time with no trouble. I cannot recommend one enough if you enjoy cooking outside.

I see what you mean, it does have quite a large bottom indicating a lot of charcoal needed. When I get the money, I will probably go the large route. I love cooking outside, and this has been on my short list for a long time. Other things keep popping up, go figure.
    Jason

I want a mini for quick dinners for just the two of us.

Anyone want to sell their BGE :-D

I've always wanted one but it'll be a while before I could convince my wife... Especially since I already have a great SS Weber

That mini looks pretty cool. I'd buy a used one online but I would hate to see what the shipping cost.
    Jason

+ Reply to Thread